‘I struggled without realising’: Tommy Freeman reveals mental toll of workload

A picture


England’s Tommy Freeman has revealed the extent of his mental struggles after the victorious British & Irish Lions tour of Australia at the end of a season when he exceeded the player welfare limits for the number of appearances,Freeman played in 34 games last season – 19 for Northampton, nine for England and six for the Lions – and has spoken of a “built-up anxiety” as a result of the workload,The mandated limit is 30, but players were given dispensation for the Lions tour on the proviso they were allowed five weeks off on returning from Australia and missed the first two rounds of the 2025-26 season,The 24-year-old, who started all three Tests against the Wallabies, was one of 15 England players to take part in the Lions tour,Ireland, England’s opponents at Twickenham on Saturday, contributed 18 to a squad overseen by their head coach, Andy Farrell.

Freeman returned to action for Northampton in round three of the Prem in October, but explained that his Saints coaches Phil Dowson and Sam Vesty intervened, sensing something was not right, and adjusted his workload,He started England’s autumn victories against Australia and Fiji, only for a hamstring injury to strike, making his comeback just before Christmas and appearing in every match for which he has been available since then,“I struggled without realising it,” Freeman said,“I had the five weeks off, the body felt good, but my mental state wasn’t in the best spot,Saints did really well at noticing that and giving me the time.

England as well, picking that up and getting me back into the games in the right way,They’ve done very well since then,The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is investigating "cowardly" racist abuse directed at Edwin Edogbo following his international debut,Munster second-row Edogbo was targeted on social media after coming on as a replacement in Saturday's 20-13 Six Nations victory over Italy in Dublin,The 23-year-old was born and raised in Cobh, County Cork to Nigerian parents.

Posts on the IRFU's X and Instagram accounts celebrating Edogbo's first cap attracted a number of racist comments.In a statement released to Press Association Sport, an IRFU spokesperson said: "We're aware of some targeted abuse online in recent days and continue to work with Signify [a data technology company which specialises in protecting against online abuse] and the relevant authorities to report it."We will also continue to fully support all affected by the cowardly actions of a minority and investigations are underway alongside our partners Signify."It is clear that racist abuse has no place in Irish society and the IRFU has a zero tolerance policy towards racism of any form."Edogbo played the final 10 minutes against Italy after coming on for James Ryan.

He received a huge cheer from the Aviva Stadium crowd before helping Andy Farrell's side hold on for victory during a nail-biting finale.PA Media“You go on a big Lions tour and I think it was off the back of 34 games or so.It’s a lot of rugby and then I could probably have managed my off time better.Without realising it, I think I was tired.My body felt like I was OK to go and I was saying to coaches: ‘Yeah I’m fine, I’m fine.

’ I just think mentally it was a bit more of a struggle,“I can’t really explain the feeling, if I’m honest, it was just a mix of up and downs, really,[The coaches] pulled me from bits here and there: some gym sessions and running, bits and bobs of training and then a few games, which was really good,“On the Lions tour, if you weren’t involved you were with the non-23 quite a lot and doing stuff outside,I just locked myself in and it might have been a bit of buildup of anxiety.

When you go on tours and go away for a long time I normally get ill, just the stress relief being off you,It is a mixture of all that,”Freeman is likely to keep his place, either at centre or on the wing, as England seek to bounce back against Ireland at Twickenham after their defeat by Scotland,Steve Borthwick, the head coach, is understood to be waiting on the outcome of Henry Arundell’s disciplinary hearing on Tuesday morning before finalising his team,Tom Curry, who came on for Sam Underhill at half-time at Murrayfield, is pushing for a start to add more physicality to England’s ranks.

Borthwick will also ponder whether to include Marcus Smith or George Furbank in the squad for extra creativity,“We have to front up better physically, especially the first 20-25 minutes,” Curry said,“There are a couple of things that probably didn’t go our way with regards to the bounce of the ball and that sort of stuff, but still we had multiple opportunities to put our best foot forward and we probably didn’t,“Steve is great at reframing and attacking what we have to go after,”
politicsSee all
A picture

Why has government reversed its decision to postpone 30 local polls across England?

The government has U-turned on its decision to postpone 30 local elections across England, which are due to take place in May. How did we get here, and why?In January the government confirmed local elections affecting about 4 million people across England would be postponed amid slow-moving efforts to reorganise the structure of local government.The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) stressed it was a postponement and not a cancellation. Under plans to end the two-tier system of local government throughout much of England, district and county councils taking on different responsibilities in the same area would be replaced by single-tier “unitary” authorities.With the MHCLG saying elections for these new councils would be held in 2027, the argument was that it was an unnecessary expense to hold dozens of elections for a single year, and that the existing councillors could carry on

A picture

Starmer’s options in funding a further defence spending rise would be limited

Keir Starmer has few options if he wants to increase annual defence spending by up to £14bn before the end of this parliament.In last summer’s spending review, the government set out plans to increase defence spending from 2.3% of national income, or gross domestic product (GDP), in 2024-25 – about £66bn, to 2.6% in 2028-29.But now there are hints that the embattled prime minister wants to go much faster

A picture

Deeper and down with Keir Starmer | Brief letters

Rafael Behr says many voters see Keir Starmer as “the archetypal status quo politician” (Keir Starmer is the bandage that Labour can’t rip off for fear of opening old wounds, 11 February). They could be on to something, since the band of that name is renowned for its dull, predictable output, which has included Accident Prone and, more optimistically, Come On You Reds and The Party Ain’t Over Yet.Mike HineKingston upon Thames, London You published a number of letters critical of Keir Starmer, but let us be thankful that he has not inflicted as much damage as Margaret Thatcher or David Cameron.Richard BartholomewColchester I understand “spad” at Westminster means special adviser. I spent my career working for British Rail

A picture

Britain ‘needs to go faster’ on defence spending, Starmer says

Keir Starmer has said Britain “needs to go faster” on defence spending, though any increase to military budgets in this parliament would probably not be as high as the £15bn suggested in an overnight report.At a press conference in south-west London, the prime minister was asked to comment on a BBC report that No 10 wanted to increase the defence budget to 3% of GDP by 2029.In reply, Starmer said the threat from Russia was obvious and likely to endure even if the fighting in Ukraine could be stopped. “We need to be alert to that, because that’s going to affect every single person in this room, every single person in this country, so we need to step up.”He then emphasised “that means, on defence spending, we need to go faster,” which was initially interpreted as a clear indication he sympathised with the 3% spending proposal, though the figure did not appear to have been signed off by the Treasury

A picture

Cabinet Office looking into Starmer-linked thinktank after it investigated journalists

The Cabinet Office is examining the commissioning of a report that made false claims about journalists who were investigating Labour Together, the thinktank closely linked to Keir Starmer, a cabinet minister has said.Liz Kendall, the science and technology secretary, indicated it would not be a formal inquiry, as demanded by the Conservatives and some Labour MPs, noting that the trade association for the PR industry was carrying out such an investigation.Downing Street declined to comment on what form the process would take. It is understood that it is likely to be led by the Cabinet Office’s propriety and ethics team.The standards committee of the Public Relations and Communications Association is examining a report compiled by the PR consultancy Apco Worldwide into the “sourcing, funding and origins” of a November 2023 Sunday Times report about Labour Together

A picture

New UK border rules for dual nationals are discriminatory against women, campaigners say

New rules requiring British dual nationals to show a UK passport when entering Britain are “discriminatory” against women, campaigners claim.From 25 February, British dual nationals are required to present a British passport when boarding a plane, ferry or train to the UK, or attach a new document, a “certificate of entitlement”, which costs nearly £600, to their second passport.Campaigners say it will pose particular problems for some women in Greece and Spain who took out citizenship after Brexit because of British rules requiring names to exactly match on the UK and second passports.In Greece, women are required to keep their maiden name after marriage to a Greek national, meaning those whose British passports use their husband’s name will fall foul of the name-match rule.In Spain, Britons married to Spaniards carry two surnames on official ID, the maiden name of their mother and their father’s surname, while in the UK their British passport will only have one surname