UK bank bosses plan to set up Visa and Mastercard alternative amid Trump fears

A picture


UK bank bosses will hold their first meeting to establish a national alternative to Visa and Mastercard, amid growing fears over Donald Trump’s ability to turn off US-owned payment systems.The meeting, chaired by Barclays’ UK chief executive, Vim Maru, will take place this Thursday and bring together a group of City funders that will front the costs of a new payments company to keep the UK economy running if problems were to occur.The City-funded, but government-backed, initiative has been under discussion for years.However, Trump’s recent threats against Nato allies over Greenland have amplified concerns that an over-reliance on US companies could put UK payments – and the wider economy – at risk.About 95% of UK card transactions are made using payment systems owned by Mastercard and Visa, according to a 2025 report by the UK’s Payment Systems Regulator.

That dominance has become far more relevant as cash use across the country continues to decline,“If Mastercard and Visa were turned off, it would send us back to the 1950s,” before cards dominated the UK economy, and businesses wholly relied on cash, one executive familiar with the project told the Guardian,“Of course, we need a sovereign payments system,”The potential disruption could be vast,In Russia, where businesses are reliant on Visa and Mastercard for 60% of payments, US sanctions that forced the companies to turn off their services left ordinary people stranded without access to funds and unable to buy goods.

Similar concerns are being raised in the EU, where politicians have taken a vocal stance on building locally owned networks that could not be turned off on a whim by foreign powers,The chair of the European parliament’s economic and monetary affairs committee, Aurore Lalucq, issued a stark warning that went viral last month about relying on US companies for such an essential service,“Visa, Mastercard … the urgent issue is our payment system,Trump can cut everything off,” Lalucq said,“The rest is poetry.

I urgently request that the commission organise a European Airbus for payment systems: you can’t say you weren’t warned.”However, the UK is taking a less aggressive stance, with Visa and Mastercard working within the initiative.Both companies are part of the new funders group, giving them a stake and a say alongside a large number of banks and payment companies including Santander UK, NatWest, Nationwide, Lloyds Banking Group, the ATM network body Link, and Coventry Building Society.While UK officials have stressed the need for a backup, they have stopped short of calling out US threats as the source of their nervousness.The Bank of England deputy governor Sarah Breeden also said in a recent speech: “In the context of a challenging and changing cyber and operational risk environment, it could provide a degree of extra resilience in the UK payments landscape, as an additional payment rail on the rare occasion of operational disruption to existing rails.

”Joe Garner, the former Nationwide chief executive who worked as a government adviser on Rachel Reeves’ national payments vision, and who led a 2023 independent review on payments, told the Guardian: “Regardless of any political developments, the UK needs to do this,We needed to before, we need to now … I don’t think that’s changed by recent events,”City funders will be in charge of creating the legal structure, leadership plans and future funding models of the new payments alternative, which is known as DeliveryCo,The Bank, meanwhile, will develop infrastructure blueprints that will be handed over to the group next year,It is understood that the new payments system is likely to be in place by 2030.

Mastercard and Visa said they were committed to the UK and welcomed competition,Visa said that included providing consumers and business with “access to innovative, secure digital payments with the highest levels of resilience and reliability,We welcome the industry progress on account-to-account payments in the UK,We believe competition between multiple solutions, supported by a level playing field, will deliver choice, innovation and economic growth in the UK,”Mastercard said: “Mastercard has been fully invested in the UK for decades, delivering consumers and businesses with a wide range of convenient, simple and secure ways to pay and get paid.

We remain committed to drive commerce here at home and across the globe by helping businesses of all sizes grow and meet the needs of their customers.”The trade association UK Finance, which has been providing administrative support to the DeliveryCo project, declined to comment.The Treasury was contacted for comment.The Bank of England declined to comment.
politicsSee all
A picture

Why has government reversed its decision to postpone 30 local polls across England?

The government has U-turned on its decision to postpone 30 local elections across England, which are due to take place in May. How did we get here, and why?In January the government confirmed local elections affecting about 4 million people across England would be postponed amid slow-moving efforts to reorganise the structure of local government.The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) stressed it was a postponement and not a cancellation. Under plans to end the two-tier system of local government throughout much of England, district and county councils taking on different responsibilities in the same area would be replaced by single-tier “unitary” authorities.With the MHCLG saying elections for these new councils would be held in 2027, the argument was that it was an unnecessary expense to hold dozens of elections for a single year, and that the existing councillors could carry on

A picture

Starmer’s options in funding a further defence spending rise would be limited

Keir Starmer has few options if he wants to increase annual defence spending by up to £14bn before the end of this parliament.In last summer’s spending review, the government set out plans to increase defence spending from 2.3% of national income, or gross domestic product (GDP), in 2024-25 – about £66bn, to 2.6% in 2028-29.But now there are hints that the embattled prime minister wants to go much faster

A picture

Deeper and down with Keir Starmer | Brief letters

Rafael Behr says many voters see Keir Starmer as “the archetypal status quo politician” (Keir Starmer is the bandage that Labour can’t rip off for fear of opening old wounds, 11 February). They could be on to something, since the band of that name is renowned for its dull, predictable output, which has included Accident Prone and, more optimistically, Come On You Reds and The Party Ain’t Over Yet.Mike HineKingston upon Thames, London You published a number of letters critical of Keir Starmer, but let us be thankful that he has not inflicted as much damage as Margaret Thatcher or David Cameron.Richard BartholomewColchester I understand “spad” at Westminster means special adviser. I spent my career working for British Rail

A picture

Britain ‘needs to go faster’ on defence spending, Starmer says

Keir Starmer has said Britain “needs to go faster” on defence spending, though any increase to military budgets in this parliament would probably not be as high as the £15bn suggested in an overnight report.At a press conference in south-west London, the prime minister was asked to comment on a BBC report that No 10 wanted to increase the defence budget to 3% of GDP by 2029.In reply, Starmer said the threat from Russia was obvious and likely to endure even if the fighting in Ukraine could be stopped. “We need to be alert to that, because that’s going to affect every single person in this room, every single person in this country, so we need to step up.”He then emphasised “that means, on defence spending, we need to go faster,” which was initially interpreted as a clear indication he sympathised with the 3% spending proposal, though the figure did not appear to have been signed off by the Treasury

A picture

Cabinet Office looking into Starmer-linked thinktank after it investigated journalists

The Cabinet Office is examining the commissioning of a report that made false claims about journalists who were investigating Labour Together, the thinktank closely linked to Keir Starmer, a cabinet minister has said.Liz Kendall, the science and technology secretary, indicated it would not be a formal inquiry, as demanded by the Conservatives and some Labour MPs, noting that the trade association for the PR industry was carrying out such an investigation.Downing Street declined to comment on what form the process would take. It is understood that it is likely to be led by the Cabinet Office’s propriety and ethics team.The standards committee of the Public Relations and Communications Association is examining a report compiled by the PR consultancy Apco Worldwide into the “sourcing, funding and origins” of a November 2023 Sunday Times report about Labour Together

A picture

New UK border rules for dual nationals are discriminatory against women, campaigners say

New rules requiring British dual nationals to show a UK passport when entering Britain are “discriminatory” against women, campaigners claim.From 25 February, British dual nationals are required to present a British passport when boarding a plane, ferry or train to the UK, or attach a new document, a “certificate of entitlement”, which costs nearly £600, to their second passport.Campaigners say it will pose particular problems for some women in Greece and Spain who took out citizenship after Brexit because of British rules requiring names to exactly match on the UK and second passports.In Greece, women are required to keep their maiden name after marriage to a Greek national, meaning those whose British passports use their husband’s name will fall foul of the name-match rule.In Spain, Britons married to Spaniards carry two surnames on official ID, the maiden name of their mother and their father’s surname, while in the UK their British passport will only have one surname