‘Betrayed’: 21 Hartlepool councillors threaten to quit Labour over care budget

A picture


Keir Starmer is facing a mass resignation of Labour councillors in one of England’s poorest areas over a “betrayal” of funding for children in care.Labour councillors in Hartlepool, County Durham, said they were “between despair and open revolt” over an “unfair” cash settlement that would leave them unable to balance the books.Pamela Hargreaves, the Hartlepool council leader, told the Guardian that her group of 21 councillors, who are in overall control of the 36-member council, were considering quitting Labour this week in protest.“We feel betrayed.We feel let down,” she said.

“We’ve worked really hard to get a Labour government and it had such promise and we expected so much more.You get left feeling how much more faith can we keep?”Starmer is facing intense criticism over his decision on Monday to abandon plans to cancel local elections in 30 areas of England spanning 4.5 million people.The prime minister was accused of overseeing another costly U-turn that would leave councils in disarray and expose Labour to further damaging results on polling day in May.Hargreaves said Hartlepool needed an extra £3m to help fund its ballooning social care bill but that the government had refused.

The town has the third highest number of children in care per capita in England.Steve Reed, the local government secretary, told the Commons last week that ministers were “realigning” funding so that poorer areas get a fairer share.However, local government leaders have said a “significant” increase in funding is needed to stop more local authorities from going bankrupt after a huge increases in costs and cuts under the Conservative government.Hartlepool is the sixth most deprived council in England, according to official figures, and is expected to increase council tax by 4.99% – the maximum allowed without a local referendum – for 2026-27.

The authority was won back by Labour two years ago from a Conservative-independent coalition but Nigel Farage’s Reform UK is hoping for significant gains when a third of the council seats go up for re-election in May,Its precursor, the Brexit party, briefly led the authority in a coalition with the Conservatives in 2019-20,Jonathan Brash, the Labour MP for Hartlepool, said the government had offered a cash increase of £3m but this was “the equivalent of funding around six children in care”,He told MPs last week that the government’s funding settlement had left Labour councillors “distraught, despondent and profoundly worried” and that services including libraries, youth provision and community hubs would be under threat,Hargreaves said she and fellow Labour councillors were considering resigning later this week unless the government agreed to help fund a £6m overspend on its children’s social care budget – which had risen partly as a result of other local authorities “dumping” families in Hartlepool.

She said: “£3m is all I wanted and we could have balanced the books this year and what [the government] is saying is that the hard-working people of Hartlepool – who are already paying way too much council tax – should have to shoulder that.“That’s not the fairer funding we were promised and it’s not the government that my Labour group of councillors fought to put in power.”Hargreaves said it was particularly galling for Labour members who had helped win back Hartlepool in 2024 after the damaging 2021 byelection, when it was lost to the Conservatives in a defeat that prompted Starmer to consider resigning as party leader.“We’ve stomped the streets, we’ve put all the leaflets through, we carried the Labour message, we’ve gone to the people and asked them to trust us and to believe in Labour again,” she said.“And now here we are again at the 11th hour with not enough money to fix the issues that are beyond our control.

”Asked whether a mass resignation was likely, Hargreaves said: “If it comes to that, that is something that is definitely on the table for consideration because we’re lost.Where do we go? Nobody seems to be listening.”A Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government spokesperson said: “We inherited an outdated and unfair funding system and we’re taking action to fix this, making £78bn available for council finances next year – as well as a 33% increase for Hartlepool council by 2028-29.“Our fair funding reforms will ensure councils get the funding they need to deliver high-quality public services that local people deserve.”
politicsSee all
A picture

What do we know about Reform UK’s frontbench team of four?

Nigel Farage has named the first four members of Reform UK’s frontbench team. Here are their briefs and what we know, so far, about their views.This budget demonstrates yet again that careful stewardship of the economy and meeting serious challenges in a serious way, thereby creating an environment for wealth creators to succeed, is always the right course. Now, the hard work of the British people is paying off.Jenrick, as exchequer secretary to the Treasury, speaks in praise of Philip Hammond’s October 2018 budget

A picture

Nigel Farage unveils Reform UK frontbench team and warns over dissent

Nigel Farage has unveiled the first part of Reform UK’s frontbench team, saying it shows that the party is no longer reliant entirely on him – while also warning that he will not tolerate any dissent from his colleagues.Two of the four appointees are recent defectors from the Conservatives: Robert Jenrick, who takes on the Treasury brief, and Suella Braverman, whom Farage has put in charge of education, skills and equalities.Richard Tice, Reform’s deputy leader, who before Jenrick’s arrival had been expected to have the Treasury role, has instead been handed a combined brief of business, trade and energy. Zia Yusuf, the party’s head of policy and the only one of the quartet not in parliament, has been given the home affairs and migration brief.Farage said the emergence of this team, with more posts to be announced soon, should end criticism that he runs a “one-man band”

A picture

‘Scandalous and unacceptable’: readers on the new UK entry rules for dual nationals

British dual nationals living abroad have told of their disgust, fury and distress over new UK border rules that mean they could risk being denied boarding on a flight, ferry or train.The new rules, which come into force on 25 February, have caught many by surprise and require British dual nationals to present a British passport or a “certificate of entitlement”, which costs £589, to visit the UK on their non-British passport.The changes will affect up to 1.2 million people who have moved abroad. Some have said the only option they now have is to renounce their British citizenship

A picture

‘Betrayed’: 21 Hartlepool councillors threaten to quit Labour over care budget

Keir Starmer is facing a mass resignation of Labour councillors in one of England’s poorest areas over a “betrayal” of funding for children in care.Labour councillors in Hartlepool, County Durham, said they were “between despair and open revolt” over an “unfair” cash settlement that would leave them unable to balance the books.Pamela Hargreaves, the Hartlepool council leader, told the Guardian that her group of 21 councillors, who are in overall control of the 36-member council, were considering quitting Labour this week in protest.“We feel betrayed. We feel let down,” she said

A picture

Farage expected to name Jenrick as potential future chancellor

Nigel Farage is expected to name Robert Jenrick as his potential future chancellor, as part of a series of appointments of key Reform UK politicians on Tuesday.The appointment of the recently defected former Conservative cabinet minister is likely to raise eyebrows within the party when the role had previously been widely expected to be handed to the former leader Richard Tice.Tice, a net- zero sceptic, will instead get the brief of business, energy and industry. Reports on Tuesday also suggested the party’s former chair Zia Yusuf would become home affairs spokesperson, responsible for immigration policy.Last year, Yusuf unveiled the party’s mass deportation policy, with the aim of deporting up to 650,000 people over a five-year period

A picture

Starmer abandons plans to delay local elections in England in latest U-turn

Keir Starmer has been forced to abandon plans to delay local elections with less than three months’ notice in another policy U-turn that has prompted anger among his own MPs and scorn from opposition leaders.The prime minister is under fire after ministers said on Monday they were abandoning plans to delay local elections in 30 places in England – a decision that will cost taxpayers millions of pounds in administrative costs.Steve Reed, the local government secretary, announced the reversal after officials decided they were likely to lose a legal challenge brought by Nigel Farage, the leader of Reform UK.The announcement has left the government facing a £100,000 legal bill from Reform, has prompted a scramble among councils to organise elections in the next 12 weeks, and has infuriated Labour MPs, many of whom opposed the decision to delay elections in the first place.It also adds to the pressure on the prime minister, who narrowly hung on to his job last week after losing two key officials and the support of Anas Sarwar, Labour’s leader in Scotland