Police ‘determined’ to target abusers who drive women to suicide but say they lack resources


Surging prediction markets face legal backlash in US: ‘Lines have been blurred’
State lawmakers and gaming regulators across the US are escalating their fight against prediction markets, arguing that the fast-growing platforms are “basically gambling but with another name”.At least 20 federal lawsuits have been filed nationwide, disputing whether companies such as Kalshi and Polymarket should be treated as federally regulated financial exchanges, as they maintain, or as gambling operations that should be regulated like state-licensed sportsbooks.The row escalated this week, when the chair of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), which oversees these platforms, announced that it was filing a friend-of-the-court brief in defense of “its exclusive jurisdiction over these derivative markets’”.The legal battle comes as the sector surges. More than $1bn was traded on Kalshi alone during Super Bowl Sunday, and Bloomberg reported that Kalshi’s January trading volume reached nearly $10bn, most of it tied to sports

Boohoo and Debenhams owner raises £35m, risking Mike Ashley clash
The owner of Boohoo and Debenhams is raising £35m from shareholders in a move that could open a fresh conflict with Sports Direct founder Mike Ashley.The company, which also owns Oasis, Warehouse, Pretty Little Thing and Karen Millen, said on Tuesday that the new cash would help reduce debts and fund its turnaround plans. These involve slashing costs, selling off a distribution centre and operating Debenhams as an online marketplace for other brands.The fund raise, backed by the Boohoo founder, Mahmud Kamani, comes less than 18 months after the group raised £39m from shareholders as it battles to revive sales amid heavy competition from rivals such as Shein and Vinted.Debenhams, which changed its name from Boohoo last year, posted a share price fall of 16% on Tuesday

TikTok creator ByteDance vows to curb AI video tool after Disney threat
ByteDance, the Chinese technology company behind TikTok, has said it will restrain its AI video-making tool, after threats of legal action from Disney and a backlash from other media businesses, according to reports.The AI video generator Seedance 2.0, released last week, has spooked Hollywood as users create realistic clips of movie stars and superheroes with just a short text prompt.Several big Hollywood studios have accused the tool of copyright infringement.On Friday, Walt Disney reportedly sent a cease-and-desist letter to ByteDance which accused it of supplying Seedance with a “pirated library” of the studio’s characters, including those from Marvel and Star Wars, according to the US news outlet Axios

Google puts users at risk by downplaying health disclaimers under AI Overviews
Google is putting people at risk of harm by downplaying safety warnings that its AI-generated medical advice may be wrong.When answering queries about sensitive topics such as health, the company says its AI Overviews, which appear above search results, prompt users to seek professional help, rather than relying solely on its summaries. “AI Overviews will inform people when it’s important to seek out expert advice or to verify the information presented,” Google has said.But the Guardian found the company does not include any such disclaimers when users are first presented with medical advice.Google only issues a warning if users choose to request additional health information and click on a button called “Show more”

England turn to Henry Pollock in bid to banish Murrayfield blues
A week can be a long time in the Six Nations, never mind in politics. One minute England are contemplating title showdowns in Paris, the next they face a must-win game against Ireland to remain in contention. A swift riposte to the defeat in Scotland last weekend is required urgently and Steve Borthwick’s team selection reflects the management’s desire for a significant gear change.It has clearly played straight into the hands of Henry Pollock, whose ambition to start for England is about to be realised after seven caps off the bench. His promotion reflects the need to re-energise all involved in the Murrayfield meltdown, as does the starting return of Tom Curry and Ollie Lawrence, Tommy Freeman’s shift back to the wing and Marcus Smith’s bench resurrection

Borthwick backs ‘superstar’ Pollock to deliver euphoria when England host Ireland
Steve Borthwick has backed Henry Pollock to thrive in the face of any wind-up tactics from Ireland on his first England start on Saturday, tipping his rising star to bring “euphoria” to Twickenham.Pollock comes into the side at No 8 as England seek to get their Six Nations campaign back on track and goes up against a raft of players and coaches with whom he rubbed shoulders on the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia last summer. Borthwick, however, has challenged the 21-year-old player to express himself in front of the Twickenham crowd.Pollock’s excitable nature and his penchant for try celebrations has regularly made him a target for opponents in the past, most notably for Northampton against Bordeaux, and he was involved in a post-match scuffle with the French prop Jefferson Poirot after the Champions Cup final last season. Bordeaux players rubbed salt into the wounds on social media after their victory and when the two sides met again in the competition this season, Pollock came in for further targeted treatment

Grand National field ‘stands out’ in 2026 with elite runners and promising underdogs

A part-time job and DJ gigs helped Lara Hamilton reach the Winter Olympics. Now she wants to put Australia on the map

Lindsey Vonn back in US for treatment but ‘not yet able to stand’ after Olympic crash

Elana Meyers Taylor’s victory in her fifth Olympics was about far more than gold

‘No cushion, no seatbelt, no airbag’: the GB bobsledder who races with her eyes closed

‘I’m trying to expand what it means to be a skier’: Mallory Duncan on jazz, freedom and the mountains