Starmer abandons plans to delay local elections in England in latest U-turn

A picture


Keir Starmer has been forced to abandon plans to delay local elections with less than three months’ notice in another policy U-turn that has prompted anger among his own MPs and scorn from opposition leaders.The prime minister is under fire after ministers said on Monday they were abandoning plans to delay local elections in 30 places in England – a decision that will cost taxpayers millions of pounds in administrative costs.Steve Reed, the local government secretary, announced the reversal after officials decided they were likely to lose a legal challenge brought by Nigel Farage, the leader of Reform UK.The announcement has left the government facing a £100,000 legal bill from Reform, has prompted a scramble among councils to organise elections in the next 12 weeks, and has infuriated Labour MPs, many of whom opposed the decision to delay elections in the first place.It also adds to the pressure on the prime minister, who narrowly hung on to his job last week after losing two key officials and the support of Anas Sarwar, Labour’s leader in Scotland.

Reed told local government leaders on Monday: “The government can confirm that all local elections in May 2026 will now go ahead,I recognise that many of the local councils undergoing reorganisation voiced genuine concerns about the pressure they are under as we seek to deliver the most ambitious reforms of local government in a generation,”Farage said Reed should resign as a result, while Kemi Badenoch, the Conservative leader, called the move “predictable chaos from a useless government that cannot make basic decisions”,Several Labour MPs also voiced anger at the decision, which they said showed there should never have been plans to delay the elections,“Most councillors feel devastated,” said one Labour MP for an affected area.

“Many didn’t want to cancel the elections.They felt pressurised into it and didn’t feel they had the resources to deliver the planned local government reorganisation too.”Reed said on Monday that the government would give affected councils an extra £63m to cover the administrative costs, promising further support should they request it.Local leaders say they will now have to rehire venues as polling stations and find returning officers at short notice to be able to carry out the elections as demanded.“This most recent announcement means that 30 councils will now have to run elections within an even more constrained timetable,” the Local Government Information Unit said.

“This risks the successful delivery of elections in all of these places, not to mention the additional strain it will needlessly add to the workloads of dedicated staff.”Officials said the decision had been taken because they received legal advice warning they were likely to lose the case against Farage, which was due to be heard on Thursday and Friday.The Reform leader was expected to argue that the delays were “patently irrational” and contravened democratic and individual rights.Reed announced earlier this year that he had accepted applications from 30 local authorities to delay their elections because of the resources required to carry out the government’s planned local government reorganisation.That reorganisation will result in district and county councils being merged into unitary authorities in some areas, and neighbouring councils merged in others.

One government source said the local government secretary was warned at the time the decision was likely to face a legal challenge,Only in recent days, however, did lawyers decide ministers were likely to lose that challenge,With days to go until the high court was due to hear Farage’s case, Reed turned the decision over to the housing minister, Matthew Pennycook, who advised the policy should be dropped,Government aides said this was a normal way for legally sensitive decisions to be taken,Those close to the prime minister say he was not involved in making the decision, but say he retains faith in Reed, one of his closest allies in government.

The Conservatives are putting pressure on the government to publish the legal advice that prompted the U-turn, the latest in a series of policy reversals that also includes abandoning cuts to benefits and dropping plans for higher taxes for farmers.They are also demanding to know how much it could end up costing taxpayers beyond the additional funding announced by Reed on Monday and the expected legal costs.James Cleverly, the shadow housing secretary, wrote in a letter to Reed on Monday: “There are now serious questions about your personal propriety as a minister … If you are unable or unwilling to answer these questions, you should resign.”That message was echoed by Farage, who told reporters at an event in Essex on Monday: “If a minister acts in a way that’s illegal and tries to cancel people’s democratic rights to vote whilst they’re still being charged their council tax, I personally think that it really is a resignation matter.”Reform believes it will be the biggest political winner from the decision, with the party targeting many of the areas in which elections will now be held in May.

Farage said on Monday he believed voters in those parts of the country would “punish” the government when they got a chance to vote in May – a sentiment shared by some on the Labour benches.“Councillors feel like the rug has been taken from underneath them,” said one Labour MP.“Now they will have to face angry electors.”
trendingSee all
A picture

Surging prediction markets face legal backlash in US: ‘Lines have been blurred’

State lawmakers and gaming regulators across the US are escalating their fight against prediction markets, arguing that the fast-growing platforms are “basically gambling but with another name”.At least 20 federal lawsuits have been filed nationwide, disputing whether companies such as Kalshi and Polymarket should be treated as federally regulated financial exchanges, as they maintain, or as gambling operations that should be regulated like state-licensed sportsbooks.The row escalated this week, when the chair of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), which oversees these platforms, announced that it was filing a friend-of-the-court brief in defense of “its exclusive jurisdiction over these derivative markets’”.The legal battle comes as the sector surges. More than $1bn was traded on Kalshi alone during Super Bowl Sunday, and Bloomberg reported that Kalshi’s January trading volume reached nearly $10bn, most of it tied to sports

A picture

Boohoo and Debenhams owner raises £35m, risking Mike Ashley clash

The owner of Boohoo and Debenhams is raising £35m from shareholders in a move that could open a fresh conflict with Sports Direct founder Mike Ashley.The company, which also owns Oasis, Warehouse, Pretty Little Thing and Karen Millen, said on Tuesday that the new cash would help reduce debts and fund its turnaround plans. These involve slashing costs, selling off a distribution centre and operating Debenhams as an online marketplace for other brands.The fund raise, backed by the Boohoo founder, Mahmud Kamani, comes less than 18 months after the group raised £39m from shareholders as it battles to revive sales amid heavy competition from rivals such as Shein and Vinted.Debenhams, which changed its name from Boohoo last year, posted a share price fall of 16% on Tuesday

A picture

TikTok creator ByteDance vows to curb AI video tool after Disney threat

ByteDance, the Chinese technology company behind TikTok, has said it will restrain its AI video-making tool, after threats of legal action from Disney and a backlash from other media businesses, according to reports.The AI video generator Seedance 2.0, released last week, has spooked Hollywood as users create realistic clips of movie stars and superheroes with just a short text prompt.Several big Hollywood studios have accused the tool of copyright infringement.On Friday, Walt Disney reportedly sent a cease-and-desist letter to ByteDance which accused it of supplying Seedance with a “pirated library” of the studio’s characters, including those from Marvel and Star Wars, according to the US news outlet Axios

A picture

Google puts users at risk by downplaying health disclaimers under AI Overviews

Google is putting people at risk of harm by downplaying safety warnings that its AI-generated medical advice may be wrong.When answering queries about sensitive topics such as health, the company says its AI Overviews, which appear above search results, prompt users to seek professional help, rather than relying solely on its summaries. “AI Overviews will inform people when it’s important to seek out expert advice or to verify the information presented,” Google has said.But the Guardian found the company does not include any such disclaimers when users are first presented with medical advice.Google only issues a warning if users choose to request additional health information and click on a button called “Show more”

A picture

England turn to Henry Pollock in bid to banish Murrayfield blues

A week can be a long time in the Six Nations, never mind in politics. One minute England are contemplating title showdowns in Paris, the next they face a must-win game against Ireland to remain in contention. A swift riposte to the defeat in Scotland last weekend is required urgently and Steve Borthwick’s team selection reflects the management’s desire for a significant gear change.It has clearly played straight into the hands of Henry Pollock, whose ambition to start for England is about to be realised after seven caps off the bench. His promotion reflects the need to re-energise all involved in the Murrayfield meltdown, as does the starting return of Tom Curry and Ollie Lawrence, Tommy Freeman’s shift back to the wing and Marcus Smith’s bench resurrection

A picture

Borthwick backs ‘superstar’ Pollock to deliver euphoria when England host Ireland

Steve Borthwick has backed Henry Pollock to thrive in the face of any wind-up tactics from Ireland on his first England start on Saturday, tipping his rising star to bring “euphoria” to Twickenham.Pollock comes into the side at No 8 as England seek to get their Six Nations campaign back on track and goes up against a raft of players and coaches with whom he rubbed shoulders on the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia last summer. Borthwick, however, has challenged the 21-year-old player to express himself in front of the Twickenham crowd.Pollock’s excitable nature and his penchant for try celebrations has regularly made him a target for opponents in the past, most notably for Northampton against Bordeaux, and he was involved in a post-match scuffle with the French prop Jefferson Poirot after the Champions Cup final last season. Bordeaux players rubbed salt into the wounds on social media after their victory and when the two sides met again in the competition this season, Pollock came in for further targeted treatment