Aston Martin issues another profit warning and sells F1 naming rights for £50m

A picture


Aston Martin has warned that its losses will be worse than expected and sold its permanent naming rights to its Formula One team, as the struggling British carmaker battles to stabilise its finances.The luxury carmaker, majority-owned by the Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, said its earnings for 2025 would be worse than City forecasts, its fifth profit warning since September 2024.Analysts had been expecting the struggling company to post a loss of £184m at its annual results, due to be published next Wednesday.Aston Martin delivered nearly 10% fewer cars last year than in 2024 – 5,448 in total – as US trade tariffs battered sales and the company fell short on lucrative special edition deliveries.Shares fell as much as 4% on Friday morning before recovering some ground, down 2%.

Since taking control in 2020, Stroll has tried to turn around the manufacturer, which is best known for featuring in the James Bond franchise, by introducing new models and repeatedly raising cash.But the succession of profit warnings has battered the company’s shares, which have lost about half their value over the past year.Cash reserves are about £250m, roughly stable compared with six months ago but down from £360m at the start of 2025.The carmaker’s debt pile has also soared 70% since the start of 2024.In a fresh attempt to shore up its balance sheet, Aston Martin will permanently sell the right to use its name in Formula One to its own F1 team for £50m, it said on Friday.

The team is operated by AMR GP Holdings, a separate company also controlled by Stroll – meaning the deal is effectively an extra injection of funds from the owner.Because the billionaire, who owns 32% of the carmaker, sits on both sides of the deal, it requires approval from shareholders.However, that appears to be a formality; investors representing just over half of the company, including Stroll’s investment vehicle, plus Geely and Mercedes-Benz, have already committed to vote in favour.Aston Martin did a similar deal in 2024 that gave the F1 team naming rights until 2055.Despite the gloom, the company said on Friday that about 500 of its new Valhalla models would be delivered in 2026 in a boost for its prospect.

Priced at £850,000 each, only 999 will ever be made.More than half have already been sold.It is the latest twist in a painful five-year turnaround marked by perennial heavy losses, a dealer inventory crisis and persistent production challenges.Donald Trump’s US tariff war, launched last year, compounded its difficulties.Trump imposed a 25% tariff on car imports last April, adding significant costs to Aston Martin’s cars in one of its key markets.

A subsequent UK-US tariff agreement, struck in May 2025, capped duties on 100,000 British-made cars at 10% from the end of June, offering some relief.In October, Aston Martin slashed £300m from its investment plans and cut spending on developing new cars, citing the impact of tariffs and extremely subdued Chinese demand.It also called for “more proactive support” from British ministers at the time, in the face of tariffs, urging them to “protect the interests of small-volume manufacturers, like Aston Martin, who provide thousands of jobs”.
politicsSee all
A picture

Labour minister falsely linked journalists to ‘pro-Kremlin’ network in emails to GCHQ

A Labour minister who claimed to be “surprised” and “furious” at a PR agency’s work to investigate journalists on his behalf had been personally involved in naming them to British intelligence officials and falsely linking them to pro-Russian propaganda, the Guardian can reveal.Josh Simons, who was running the thinktank Labour Together at the time, was also involved in telling security officials that another journalist was “living with” the daughter of a former adviser to Jeremy Corbyn. Officials were told by Simons’ team that the former adviser was “suspected of links to Russian intelligence”.The extraordinary disclosures are contained in emails that Simons and his chief of staff at Labour Together sent to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), a division of the spy agency GCHQ, in 2024. A spokesperson for Simons, a Cabinet Office minister, said: “These claims are untrue

A picture

UK reports record-breaking budget surplus of £30.4bn in surprise boost for Rachel Reeves

The UK government has posted the biggest ever budget surplus, official figures show, after a large increase in self-assessment and capital gains tax receipts.In a boost for the chancellor, Rachel Reeves, in the run-up to her spring statement next month, public sector finances recorded a surplus of £30.4bn in January, according to the Office for National Statistics. This was double the surplus recorded in January 2025.The figure is the largest monthly total since records began in 1993 and much higher than the forecast of £24bn made by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the government’s official forecaster, and a poll of City economists

A picture

Appointment of Antonia Romeo as head of civil service shows ‘poor judgment’, say former colleagues

Keir Starmer’s decision to appoint Antonia Romeo as the country’s most senior civil servant has prompted dismay among former colleagues who complained about what they considered bullying behaviour when she was a diplomat in New York.Several people who worked with Romeo at the New York consulate nearly 10 years ago have told the Guardian they are upset by the prime minister’s decision to make her cabinet secretary despite knowing about their complaints.The allegations from several colleagues were made as part of one formal complaint against Romeo in 2017. That complaint was investigated by a senior diplomat who found that she had a case to answer, but was then dismissed by her line managers at the Cabinet Office, who gave her the all clear.The complaint has resurfaced in recent days after Simon McDonald, the former lead civil servant at the Foreign Office, urged the prime minister to do more due diligence before making his decision

A picture

Starmer appoints Antonia Romeo as Britain’s first female cabinet secretary – UK politics live

The Times is reporting that Donald Trump issued his latest diatribe about the UK’s Chagos Islands deal (see 9.34am) because Keir Starmer is not letting the US use Diego Garcia to bomb Iran.In their story, Oliver Wright, George Grylls and Geraldine Scott say:double quotation markThe White House is drawing up detailed military plans for a strike against Iran involving the use of both Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, which is home to America’s fleet of heavy bombers in Europe.Under the terms of long-standing agreements with Washington, these bases can only be used for military operations that have been agreed in advance with the government.The Times understands that the UK is yet to give permission for the US to use the bases in the event that Trump orders a strike on Iran, owing to concerns that it would be a breach of international law which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have “knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act”

A picture

Spending even more on defence won’t buy us peace | Letters

We are told to spend even more, and more quickly, on the armed forces, whose current budget for this year is expected to amount to more than £60bn (‘Britain ‘needs to go faster’ on defence spending, Starmer says, 16 February). The Ministry of Defence must surely first show it can put its house in order.The government is considering whether to scrap Ajax, the army’s planned new armoured vehicle, even though more than £6bn of taxpayers’ money has already been spent on the project. Ajax is eight years late, its defects so serious that vibration and noise have made soldiers training on it sick, with some suffering hearing loss.It is the latest and most egregious example of the huge waste caused by the MoD’s incompetence and profligacy over recent years

A picture

Global Counsel calls in administrators, blaming Peter Mandelson ‘maelstrom’

Global Counsel, the advisory firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson, is to collapse into administration, blaming the “maelstrom” caused by revelations about the former peer’s relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.Companies including Barclays, Tesco and the Premier League have all deserted Global Counsel, despite the company’s efforts to sever ties with Mandelson and the company’s co-founder Benjamin Wegg-Prosser.The crisis engulfed Global Counsel after it emerged that Mandelson had sought Epstein’s advice on setting up the business in 2010, shortly after leaving office when Labour lost the general election.On Thursday, the Financial Times reported that staff at Global Counsel had been told that the “Peter Mandelson legacy” had effectively capsized the business.In a statement posted on the professional social networking site LinkedIn, Global Counsel confirmed that it had asked a court to appoint Interpath as administrator “to take control of and realise the assets of the company”