Global Counsel calls in administrators, blaming Peter Mandelson ‘maelstrom’

A picture


Global Counsel, the advisory firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson, is to collapse into administration, blaming the “maelstrom” caused by revelations about the former peer’s relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.Companies including Barclays, Tesco and the Premier League have all deserted Global Counsel, despite the company’s efforts to sever ties with Mandelson and the company’s co-founder Benjamin Wegg-Prosser.The crisis engulfed Global Counsel after it emerged that Mandelson had sought Epstein’s advice on setting up the business in 2010, shortly after leaving office when Labour lost the general election.On Thursday, the Financial Times reported that staff at Global Counsel had been told that the “Peter Mandelson legacy” had effectively capsized the business.In a statement posted on the professional social networking site LinkedIn, Global Counsel confirmed that it had asked a court to appoint Interpath as administrator “to take control of and realise the assets of the company”.

It said: “The continuing maelstrom of political and media attention surrounding Peter Mandelson has made it challenging to continue with the business in its current form.While today’s Global Counsel has no connection with Peter Mandelson, his role as a co-founder and his conduct, particularly in its early years, has indelibly coloured the way Global Counsel is seen in the outside world.“To be clear, this will no longer be business as usual as the administrators-in-waiting have already indicated that, in the unlikely event that any ongoing servicing of clients is viable, this will be on a limited basis only.Inevitably therefore, this will result in a significant number of redundancies being made by the administrators when they take control of the company tomorrow.”The company employs about 100 people across London, Berlin, Brussels, Doha and Singapore.

Its board said staff had “shown exceptional resilience in the face of circumstances beyond their control”, thanked clients and said shareholders had “suffered a material loss through no fault of their own”.The collapse comes despite Global Counsel’s efforts over the past two weeks to distance itself from its founders.Wegg-Prosser stepped down as chief executive earlier this month, as Global Counsel wrestled with the reputational damage of the latest tranche of the Epstein files, released by the Department of Justice earlier this month.The company also announced that Mandelson had sold his shares in the business.But Global Counsel was unable to staunch the flow of clients out of the door.

Other lost clients included the fintech company Klarna, Phoenix Group and the private equity group KKR.The telecoms company Vodafone placed its contract with the business under review.The pharmaceuticals business GSK, which has previously sought Global Counsel’s advice, said it had “no plans” to engage with the company in future.As well as showing that Mandelson sought Epstein’s advice on founding Global Counsel, the files also revealed that Wegg-Prosser had met the sex offender – and shared the company’s business plan – while he was under house arrest in New York.Sources close to Wegg-Prosser have previously said that he met Epstein once 16 years ago for 25 minutes at the suggestion of Mandelson.

“I had the misfortune to meet Epstein on one occasion,” Wegg-Prosser has said in the past,“It was a short meeting of no consequence and thankfully was never to be repeated,”The Guardian has approached Global Counsel for comment,
recentSee all
A picture

Hat-trick of good UK economic news as budget surplus hits record, retail sales rise and private sector activity strengthens – business live

Newsflash: The UK government has racked up a record-breaking budget surplus in January.Britain’s public sector was £30.4bn in surplus last month, the Office for National Statistics reports, beating expectations of a surplus of around £24bn.That’s double the surplus recorded in January 2025 – traditionally a strong month due to self-assessment tax bills – and is the highest surplus since monthly records began in 1993.It’s a clear boost for the chancellor, Rachel Reeves, in the run-up to her spring statement next month,The public sector (excluding public sector banks) was £30

A picture

Hospitality workers: tell us about the worst or rudest customers you ever dealt with

A diner in a Sydney restaurant has been caught on CCTV sprinkling armpit hair into their food “in attempt to get a free meal”. After confronting the head chef, the man allegedly then left without paying, having ordered the most expensive items on the menu.With this delightful story in mind, do you have a story of dealing with a rude or generally bad customer while working in hospitality?If you’ve worked in a bar or restaurant, you can tell us about your experience below.You can tell us your story using this form. Please include as much detail as possible

A picture

Mind launches inquiry into AI and mental health after Guardian investigation

Mind is launching a significant inquiry into artificial intelligence and mental health after a Guardian investigation exposed how Google’s AI Overviews gave people “very dangerous” medical advice.In a year-long commission, the mental health charity, which operates in England and Wales, will examine the risks and safeguards required as AI increasingly influences the lives of millions of people affected by mental health issues worldwide.The inquiry – the first of its kind globally – will bring together the world’s leading doctors and mental health professionals, as well as people with lived experience, health providers, policymakers and tech companies. Mind says it will aim to shape a safer digital mental health ecosystem, with strong regulation, standards and safeguards.The launch comes after the Guardian revealed how people were being put at risk of harm by false and misleading health information in Google AI Overviews

A picture

West Virginia sues Apple over child sex abuse material stored and shared on iCloud

West Virginia’s attorney general filed a lawsuit on Thursday accusing Apple of allowing its iCloud service to become a vehicle for distributing child sexual abuse material.The state alleges that the company facilitated the spread of child sexual abuse material by declining to deploy tools that scan photos and videos and detect such material in iCloud users’ collections.JB McCuskey, a Republican, accused Apple of prioritizing user privacy over child safety. His office called the case the first of its kind by a government agency over the distribution of child sexual abuse material on Apple’s data storage platform.“These images are a permanent record of a child’s trauma, and that child is revictimized every time the material is shared or viewed,” McCuskey said in the statement

A picture

Winter Olympics 2026: ski cross, halfpipe and more on day 14 – live

Women’s ski cross: Daniela Maier eases across the line in the first semi and Marielle Berger-Sabbatel clinches the second qualifying spot. Switzerland’s Gantenbein skates for the line in desperation, then slumps, head in hands.Women’s ski cross: the quarter finals are done and dusted, with both Switzerland’s Fanny Smith and Germany’s Daniela Maier through. They will ski in separate semi finals.A bizarre story behind their 2022 Olympics

A picture

UK Athletics pleads guilty to corporate manslaughter after death of Paralympian

UK Athletics is facing a seven-figure fine after pleading guilty to corporate manslaughter in the death of a Paralympian who was hit on the head by a metal pole while preparing for the London World Para Athletics Championships in 2017.The incident occurred at Newham Leisure Centre when the pole, which was attached to a throwing cage, fell on Abdullah Hayayei while he was training. Emergency services were called to the venue but the 36-year-old from the United Arab Emirates was pronounced dead at the scene 20 minutes later.On Friday morning, UKA attended court in London and changed its plea to corporate manslaughter to guilty. At the same hearing this morning, Keith Davies, the head of sport for the championships and the co-defendant in the case, entered a guilty plea to the health and safety offence he has been charged with