UK bank bosses plan to set up Visa and Mastercard alternative amid Trump fears

A picture


UK bank bosses will hold their first meeting to establish a national alternative to Visa and Mastercard, amid growing fears over Donald Trump’s ability to turn off US-owned payment systems.The meeting, chaired by Barclays’ UK chief executive, Vim Maru, will take place this Thursday and bring together a group of City funders that will front the costs of a new payments company to keep the UK economy running if problems were to occur.The City-funded, but government-backed, initiative has been under discussion for years.However, Trump’s recent threats against Nato allies over Greenland have amplified concerns that an over-reliance on US companies could put UK payments – and the wider economy – at risk.About 95% of UK card transactions are made using payment systems owned by Mastercard and Visa, according to a 2025 report by the UK’s Payment Systems Regulator.

That dominance has become far more relevant as cash use across the country continues to decline.“If Mastercard and Visa were turned off, it would send us back to the 1950s,” before cards dominated the UK economy, and businesses wholly relied on cash, one executive familiar with the project told the Guardian.“Of course, we need a sovereign payments system.”The potential disruption could be vast.In Russia, where businesses are reliant on Visa and Mastercard for 60% of payments, US sanctions that forced the companies to turn off their services left ordinary people stranded without access to funds and unable to buy goods.

Similar concerns are being raised in the EU, where politicians have taken a vocal stance on building locally owned networks that could not be turned off on a whim by foreign powers.The chair of the European parliament’s economic and monetary affairs committee, Aurore Lalucq, issued a stark warning that went viral last month about relying on US companies for such an essential service.“Visa, Mastercard … the urgent issue is our payment system.Trump can cut everything off,” Lalucq said.“The rest is poetry.

I urgently request that the commission organise a European Airbus for payment systems: you can’t say you weren’t warned,”However, the UK is taking a less aggressive stance, with Visa and Mastercard working within the initiative,Both companies are part of the new funders group, giving them a stake and a say alongside a large number of banks and payment companies including Santander UK, NatWest, Nationwide, Lloyds Banking Group, the ATM network body Link, and Coventry Building Society,While UK officials have stressed the need for a backup, they have stopped short of calling out US threats as the source of their nervousness,The Bank of England deputy governor Sarah Breeden also said in a recent speech: “In the context of a challenging and changing cyber and operational risk environment, it could provide a degree of extra resilience in the UK payments landscape, as an additional payment rail on the rare occasion of operational disruption to existing rails.

”Joe Garner, the former Nationwide chief executive who worked as a government adviser on Rachel Reeves’ national payments vision, and who led a 2023 independent review on payments, told the Guardian: “Regardless of any political developments, the UK needs to do this.We needed to before, we need to now … I don’t think that’s changed by recent events.”City funders will be in charge of creating the legal structure, leadership plans and future funding models of the new payments alternative, which is known as DeliveryCo.The Bank, meanwhile, will develop infrastructure blueprints that will be handed over to the group next year.It is understood that the new payments system is likely to be in place by 2030.

Mastercard and Visa said they were committed to the UK and welcomed competition.Visa said that included providing consumers and business with “access to innovative, secure digital payments with the highest levels of resilience and reliability.We welcome the industry progress on account-to-account payments in the UK.We believe competition between multiple solutions, supported by a level playing field, will deliver choice, innovation and economic growth in the UK.”Mastercard said: “Mastercard has been fully invested in the UK for decades, delivering consumers and businesses with a wide range of convenient, simple and secure ways to pay and get paid.

We remain committed to drive commerce here at home and across the globe by helping businesses of all sizes grow and meet the needs of their customers.”The trade association UK Finance, which has been providing administrative support to the DeliveryCo project, declined to comment.The Treasury was contacted for comment.The Bank of England declined to comment.
trendingSee all
A picture

UK bank bosses plan to set up Visa and Mastercard alternative amid Trump fears

UK bank bosses will hold their first meeting to establish a national alternative to Visa and Mastercard, amid growing fears over Donald Trump’s ability to turn off US-owned payment systems.The meeting, chaired by Barclays’ UK chief executive, Vim Maru, will take place this Thursday and bring together a group of City funders that will front the costs of a new payments company to keep the UK economy running if problems were to occur.The City-funded, but government-backed, initiative has been under discussion for years. However, Trump’s recent threats against Nato allies over Greenland have amplified concerns that an over-reliance on US companies could put UK payments – and the wider economy – at risk.About 95% of UK card transactions are made using payment systems owned by Mastercard and Visa, according to a 2025 report by the UK’s Payment Systems Regulator

A picture

UK consumer sentiment takes a tumble; bad weather threaten fruit supplies but boosts Morocco’s wheat crop – as it happened

UK consumer sentiment continued to sink this month, as households grow more worried about debt levels.A poll of consumer confidence from data firm S&P Global has found that morale continued to drop in February, although not as quickly as in January.The report shows:Consumers signal stronger rise in debt alongside a quicker deterioration in loan availabilityAppetite for major spending recedes to weakest in ten monthsSentiment regarding labour market conditions at lowest since last JuneThis left the S&P Global UK Consumer Sentiment Index (CSI) at 44.8 in February, up from 44.6 in January, but still below the 50-point mark that shows no change compared with the prior month

A picture

Starmer to extend online safety rules to AI chatbots after Grok scandal

Makers of AI chatbots that put children at risk will face massive fines or even see their services blocked in the UK under law changes to be announced by Keir Starmer on Monday.Emboldened by Elon Musk’s X stopping its Grok AI tool from creating sexualised images of real people in the UK after public outrage last month, ministers are planning a “crackdown on vile illegal content created by AI”.With more and more children using chatbots for everything from help with their homework to mental health support, the government said it would “move fast to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law”.Starmer is also planning to accelerate new restrictions on social media use by children if they are agreed by MPs after a public consultation into a possible under-16 ban. It means that any changes to children’s use of social media, which may include other measures such as restricting infinite scrolling, could happen as soon as this summer

A picture

California’s billionaires pour cash into elections as big tech seeks new allies

Tech billionaires are leveraging tens of millions of dollars to influence California politics in a marked uptick from their previous participation in affairs at the state capitol. Behemoths such as Google and Meta are getting involved in campaigns for November’s elections, as are venture capitalists, cryptocurrency entrepreneurs and Palantir’s co-founders. The industry’s goals run the gamut – from fighting a billionaire tax to supporting a techie gubernatorial candidate to firing up new, influential super political action committees (Pacs).The phenomenon squarely fits the moment for the state’s politics – with 2026 being the year that Politico has dubbed “the big tech flex”.Gavin Newsom, California’s tech-friendly governor who has been quick to veto legislation that cramps the sector’s unfettered growth, is reaching his term limit

A picture

Muir fourth again after agonising tumble as Oldham wins big air gold for Canada

This time, Kirsty Muir must surely have believed that a Winter Olympic medal was in her grasp. But as a thrilling big air competition reached its denouement, an Italian with no anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee came down a 180‑feet ramp and drove a stake through the Briton’s heart.It all looked so promising when the 21-year-old from Aberdeen landed a stunning left double 1620, with four and a half rotations, to move into the medal positions after two of the three rounds. However, with just four jumps of the competition remaining, Flora Tabanelli, who tore her ACL in November, did the same trick as Muir but only better to score 94.25 points to steal the bronze medal

A picture

USA’s Elana Meyers Taylor storms monobob to win first Olympic gold at age 41

It took her five Olympics, but she finally got there: USA’s Elana Meyers Taylor won gold in the monobob on Monday, capping a long and brilliant career.The 41-year-old competed in her first Olympics at Vancouver 2010, and since then she has won three silver medals and two bronze across two events, the monobob and the two-woman bobsleigh. Her victory at the Milano Cortina Games came down to the final run of the competition with Laura Nolte competing to best Meyers Taylor’s time of 3min 57.93 sec. But the German could not respond and Meyers Taylor became America’s oldest-ever female Winter Olympic champion