Starmer to extend online safety rules to AI chatbots after Grok scandal

A picture


Makers of AI chatbots that put children at risk will face massive fines or even see their services blocked in the UK under law changes to be announced by Keir Starmer on Monday.Emboldened by Elon Musk’s X stopping its Grok AI tool from creating sexualised images of real people in the UK after public outrage last month, ministers are planning a “crackdown on vile illegal content created by AI”.With more and more children using chatbots for everything from help with their homework to mental health support, the government said it would “move fast to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law”.Starmer is also planning to accelerate new restrictions on social media use by children if they are agreed by MPs after a public consultation into a possible under-16 ban.It means that any changes to children’s use of social media, which may include other measures such as restricting infinite scrolling, could happen as soon as this summer.

But the Conservatives dismissed the government’s claim to be acting quickly as “more smoke and mirrors” given the consultation has not yet started.“Claiming they are taking ‘immediate action’ is simply not credible when their so-called urgent consultation does not even exist,” said Laura Trott, the shadow education secretary.“Labour have repeatedly said they do not have a view on whether under-16s should be prevented from accessing social media.That is not good enough.I am clear that we should stop under-16s accessing these platforms.

”The moves come after the online regulator Ofcom admitted it lacked powers to act against Grok because images and videos that are created by a chatbot without it searching the internet are not in the scope of the existing laws, unless it amounts to pornography.The change to bring AI chatbots under the Online Safety Act could happen within weeks, although the loophole has been known about for more than two years.“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up,” said Starmer.“The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

”Companies that breach the Online Safety Act can face punishments of up to 10% of global revenue and regulators can apply to courts to block their connection in the UK,If AI chatbots are used specifically as search engines, to produce pornography or operate in user-to-user contexts, they are already covered by the act,But they can be used to create material that encourages people to self-harm or take their own lives, or even generate child sexual abuse material, without facing sanction,That is the loophole the government says it wants to close,The chief executive of the NSPCC, Chris Sherwood, said young people were contacting its helpline reporting harms caused by AI chatbots and that he did not trust tech companies to design them safely.

In one case, a 14-year-old girl who talked to an AI chatbot about her eating habits and body dysmorphia was given inaccurate information.In others, they have seen “young people who are self-harming even having content served up to them of more self-harming”.“Social media has produced huge benefits for young people, but lots of harm,” Sherwood said.“AI is going to be that on steroids if we’re not careful.”OpenAI, the $500bn San Francisco startup behind ChatGPT, one of the UK’s most popular chatbots, and xAI, which makes Grok, were approached for comment.

Since the Californian 16-year-old Adam Raine took his own life after, his family allege, “months of encouragement from ChatGPT”, OpenAI has launched parental controls and is rolling out age-prediction technology to restrict access to potentially harmful content.The government is also to consult on forcing social media platforms to make it impossible for users to send and receive nude images of children – a practice that is already illegal.Liz Kendall, the technology secretary, said: “We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.”The Molly Rose Foundation, which was set up by the father of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who killed herself after viewing harmful content online, called the steps “a welcome downpayment”.But it called on the prime minister to commit to a new Online Safety Act “that strengthens regulation and makes clear that product safety and children’s wellbeing is the cost of doing business in the UK”.

In the UK, the NSPCC offers support to children on 0800 1111, and adults concerned about a child on 0808 800 5000.The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (Napac) offers support for adult survivors on 0808 801 0331.In the US, call or text the Childhelp abuse hotline on 800-422-4453.In Australia, children, young adults, parents and teachers can contact the Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800; adult survivors can seek help at Blue Knot Foundation on 1300 657 380.Other sources of help can be found at Child Helpline International
businessSee all
A picture

Former Carillion chief fined by FCA for role in misleading investors

The former boss of the construction company Carillion has been fined by the UK’s financial watchdog for his role in misleading investors before its collapse eight years ago.The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) fined Richard Howson £237,700 after Carillion’s ex-chief executive withdrew his challenge to the regulator’s punishment.The watchdog ruled that Howson was “aware of serious financial troubles” in the group’s construction business but “failed to reflect this in company announcements or alert its board and audit committee, leading to poor oversight”.The FCA said the primary responsibility for communicating accurate financial information lay with the group finance director, but that Howson “acted recklessly” and “was knowingly concerned” in breaches of market abuse and listing rules.It comes eight years after the demise of the government contractor, which was one of the biggest construction and facilities management companies in the UK

A picture

Volkswagen aims to cut costs by 20% by 2028 in restructuring plan, report says

Volkswagen plans to cut costs by 20% by 2028, with plant closures not ruled out, as part of an effort to reshape the company in the face of increasing competition from China, according to reports.The German automotive company’s chief executive, Oliver Blume, and its finance chief, Arno Antlitz, are said to have presented a plan for “massive” savings at a meeting of the company’s top executives last month.Declining sales, high costs, the rise in sales of Chinese cars in Europe and robotisation are forcing manufacturers and suppliers across the car industry in Germany to create resilience in the sector.Volkswagen announced plans for deep restructuring across its brands and plants 18 months ago as part of an effort to save €10bn (£8.7bn), a move that was seen in Germany as “an earthquake” in one of the country’s most famous companies

A picture

Trump donor who criticized offshoring to close Ohio plant and move work to China

John Paulson, a hedge fund billionaire and one of Donald Trump’s earliest Wall Street backers, is planning to offshore an Ohio manufacturing plant to China despite heavy pushback from employees.Workers at the plant call the move “a slap in our face”, after Paulson vocally defended domestic manufacturing, and are fighting to keep the plant open.Conn Selmer, the largest US manufacturer of brass and orchestra instruments, told the union it planned to offshore most work at its Eastlake, Ohio, plant to China by the end of June 2026, eliminating 150 jobs.United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 2359, which represents the 150 employees, said workers were informed of the closing when it first sat down to bargain over their new union contract last month.“We came in with a full proposal, fully prepared to bargain, and they started off with a presentation of telling us how bad we were doing,” said Robert Hines, president of UAW Local 2359 and an employee at the plant

A picture

Britons feeling ‘dismal’ about finances amid mounting debts, survey finds

The mood among UK households about their finances is “dismal”, according to research which suggested consumer spending remains sluggish and debts are mounting.Consumer confidence in the UK is running at its lowest level in two years, a survey by S&P Global found, as households worry about their debts, their future financial prospects, and their savings.S&P said consumers’ pessimism “matches the dismal weather seen so far this year” and said the recent wet weather had “not helped to lift the low spirits seen among households”.The UK Consumer Sentiment Index survey, which has been running since 2009, posted a reading of 44.8 in February

A picture

Lloyds investigating after using staff’s bank account data in pay talks

The boss of Lloyds Banking Group has told staff that it is investigating a controversial decision to use employee bank account data during pay talks with unions last year.In a town hall meeting open to the bank’s 64,000 staff at the start of February, Charlie Nunn conceded that the move “obviously has created some concern” but tried to assure workers that “we definitely have listened to it”.“We haven’t yet fully worked out what we will do differently going forward, although I think we should just do the investigation fully,” Nunn said, in comments first reported by the Times.Nunn was responding to a staff question over the debacle, in which the bank used aggregated salary, spending and savings data from 30,000 staff accounts as part of a presentation to staff union representatives late last year. That data was used to suggest its lowest-paid staff had been in a better financial position than the wider population in recent years

A picture

Royal Mail blames bad weather and sickness for late deliveries

Royal Mail has blamed stormy weather and too many workers being off sick after complaints over missed delivery rounds and late letters.The strain on the postal service has meant rounds are missed on a daily basis and letters have been left undelivered for weeks, according to the BBC, which cited reports from more than a dozen Royal Mail postal staff at different delivery offices.Royal Mail said “short-term disruption to certain routes” was due to “adverse weather, including storms Goretti, Ingrid and Chandra in January, alongside higher than usual sick absence”.“Where a delay affects a route, we work to resolve it as quickly as possible by putting in extra support and reviewing performance daily to restore deliveries as quickly as possible,” they said.The company said that, while it aimed to deliver letters and parcels on time, parcels accounted for more of its deliveries and took up more space in depots and vans than letters