H
sport
H
HOYONEWS
HomeBusinessTechnologySportPolitics
Others
  • Food
  • Culture
  • Society
Contact
Home
Business
Technology
Sport
Politics

Food

Culture

Society

Contact
Facebook page
H
HOYONEWS

Company

business
technology
sport
politics
food
culture
society

© 2025 Hoyonews™. All Rights Reserved.
Facebook page

Borthwick ‘bitterly disappointed’ by latest Six Nations setback against Ireland

about 15 hours ago
A picture


Steve Borthwick says England have only themselves to blame for their steep decline in this season’s Six Nations.After his side’s record humbling by Ireland on Saturday, Borthwick said his side are being punished for their poor starts to games and are leaving themselves “a mountain to climb” against quality opposition.This was England’s worst Six Nations defeat since they lost 53-10 at home to France in 2023 and Borthwick said he was “bitterly disappointed” with his team’s latest sub-par first-half showing.“Unfortunately, for two weeks now, we have given the opposition too many points and we have not got scoreboard presence.We will be looking closely at that and how I set the team up to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

“Everybody can see we turned the ball over too many times.You get in field position opportunities to score and then you turn the ball over.Credit Ireland’s defence and Ireland at the breakdown.They were very, very strong there.“Two weeks ago, there was a lot of talk about 12 wins on the bounce.

People were saying all kinds of positive things about this team and not all of them were true.Right now, after two losses, people will be saying other things about this team and they won’t all be true either.“The truth is somewhere in the middle.We are a team that has plenty of work to do, we know that.I have always said that.

Ultimately, in the last two weeks, we have played against two high-quality teams and they have been better than us.Huge credit to Ireland, they took their chances and their kicking game was excellent.”Borthwick also defended his fly-half, George Ford, who was jeered by large sections of the crowd after squandering two crucial penalty opportunities by kicking the ball dead instead of finding touch.“George has done so much good for England for such a long period of time and particularly over the last spell,” said Borthwick.“In the autumn he was outstanding and two weeks ago he played really well here against Wales.

You want to talk about individuals, but it is about the team.It is all of us today and it was all of us last week.We didn’t find a way to get the result we wanted and that’s all of our responsibility.”Ellis Genge told BBC Sport: “What do you do? Two weeks in a row conceding so many points in the first 15 minutes.No one knows what the answer is right now or we would have sorted it out.

It opened up scar tissue from last week.We have to be better at managing that period and stop turning the ball over.“We probably believed the hype from the first week too much.We can’t let the noise in now.Sorry to the fans, you have been outstanding.

We have let everyone down, apologies for that but I promise we will make it better.”Maro Itoje, making his 100th appearance for England, also acknowledged his side had been the architects of their own downfall.“Ultimately, we weren’t accurate.We weren’t accurate in and around the breakdown and then when we had opportunities in Ireland’s 22 we weren’t accurate in taking them.We need to look at how we can make sure that when we do have territory and opportunities we convert them.

”Ireland’s Dan Sheehan, in contrast, felt his team and their head coach, Andy Farrell, deserved significant credit.“That performance was right up there with one of the best we’ve ever had,” he told ITV Sport: “To get this win at Twickenham is special.“He [Farrell] just reminds us that if we get our systems right we have a plan to beat anyone.He gives us incredible belief.You look outside the group and there isn’t too much belief.

But he and the coaching group have made us believe and helped us put a performance in today,”
businessSee all
A picture

Stock markets rally and US dollar dips after supreme court rules against Trump’s sweeping tariffs; Hat-trick of good UK economic news – as it happened

Stock market investors are welcoming the supreme court’s rejection of Donald Trump’s global tariffs.The Dow Jones industrial average, of 30 large US companies, is up 0.3% or 138 points at 49,533 points, having dipped slightly in early trading before the ruling was announced.The S&P 500 share index, which had opened flat, is now up 0.32%

1 day ago
A picture

Brighter UK economy gives Reeves a springboard for March statement

The economic backdrop to Rachel Reeves’s upcoming spring statement appeared to brighten on Friday after a trio of reports painted a better-than-expected picture of the UK economy.Record monthly public finances, a surge in retail spending and accelerating business activity offered the most coherent picture of recovery since last autumn, economists said, and provided the chancellor with a more positive narrative before her 3 March statement.“It’s been a hat-trick of good economics news for once for the UK,” said Sandra Horsfield, a senior economist at Investec bank. “We had a disappointing end to last year, but as things look, we may be starting 2026 on a much brighter note.”Public sector finances posted their biggest monthly budget surplus since records began in 1993, of £30

1 day ago
A picture

Aston Martin issues another profit warning and sells F1 naming rights for £50m

Aston Martin has warned that its losses will be worse than expected and sold its permanent naming rights to its Formula One team, as the struggling British carmaker battles to stabilise its finances.The luxury carmaker, majority-owned by the Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, said its earnings for 2025 would be worse than City forecasts, its fifth profit warning since September 2024.Analysts had been expecting the struggling company to post a loss of £184m at its annual results, due to be published next Wednesday.Aston Martin delivered nearly 10% fewer cars last year than in 2024 – 5,448 in total – as US trade tariffs battered sales and the company fell short on lucrative special edition deliveries. Shares fell as much as 4% on Friday morning before recovering some ground, down 2%

2 days ago
A picture

Hospitality workers: tell us about the worst or rudest customers you ever dealt with

A diner in a Sydney restaurant has been caught on CCTV sprinkling armpit hair into their food “in attempt to get a free meal”. After confronting the head chef, the man allegedly then left without paying, having ordered the most expensive items on the menu.With this delightful story in mind, do you have a story of dealing with a rude or generally bad customer while working in hospitality?If you’ve worked in a bar or restaurant, you can tell us about your experience below.You can tell us your story using this form. Please include as much detail as possible

2 days ago
A picture

Art and antiques help lift retail sales in Great Britain to biggest monthly rise since 2024

Retail sales in Great Britain rose 1.8% in January, the largest monthly increase in almost two years, according to official data, as heavy discounting and post-Christmas sales drew consumers back to bigger ticket purchases.The rise easily beat forecasts of a 0.2% rise and was partly driven by sales of artwork and antiques sales in January, alongside continued strong sales from online jewellers, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said. It was the biggest monthly rise since May 2024

2 days ago
A picture

France and Germany agreed to build the fighter jet of the future. Now they can’t agree who is in charge

France and Germany’s plan to build a fighter jet of the future, planned to come with a swarm of drones and a “combat communications cloud”, is collapsing.Friedrich Merz, the German chancellor, said this week that the €100bn programme no longer worked for him. He insisted it was “not a political dispute”, but a technical one. France needs a jet that can carry nuclear weapons and launch from aircraft carriers, while Germany does not. However, the problems go back much further

2 days ago
technologySee all
A picture

Nvidia reportedly plans to invest $30bn in OpenAI’s next funding round

2 days ago
A picture

Mind launches inquiry into AI and mental health after Guardian investigation

2 days ago
A picture

West Virginia sues Apple over child sex abuse material stored and shared on iCloud

2 days ago
A picture

Skiers stranded by California avalanche used iPhone SOS feature to seek help

3 days ago
A picture

US builds website that will allow Europeans to view blocked content

3 days ago
A picture

Accenture ‘links staff promotions to use of AI tools’

3 days ago