Lamborghini pulls plug on plans to launch all-electric supercar

A picture


The Italian supercar manufacturer Lamborghini has abandoned plans to make all-electric vehicles, and will instead focus on making plug-in hybrid cars, after a drop-off in demand for EVs among its wealthy clientele.Lamborghini unveiled its first all-electric concept car, the Lanzador, in 2023, but it is no longer planning to put it into production.The carmaker’s chief executive, Stephan Winkelmann, told the Sunday Times that developing EVs risked becoming an “an expensive hobby” for the brand, given that the “acceptance curve” for battery-powered cars among its customer base was getting “close to zero”.Winkelmann said the Lanzador would be replaced by a plug-in hybrid, meaning its range would consist only of plug-in hybrids by 2030.In the meantime, the company would continue to build combustion engine vehicles for “as long as possible”, he added.

Lamborghini, which is owned by Volkswagen via its subsidiary Audi, delivered a record 10,747 cars worldwide in 2025.It reported last month that its results had been buoyed by the “success of the brand’s hybridisation strategy, which has been met with enthusiasm by Lamborghini customers across the globe”.Europe remains the company’s largest market, followed by the Americas and Asia Pacific.It said its results were boosted by sales of its Revuelto hybrid supercar, which costs at least £450,000, and the plug-in hybrid version of its Urus SUV, with prices starting at about £210,000.These models were joined last year by the hybrid Temerario, costing upwards of £260,000, meaning that hybrid versions are now available for every model in Lamborghini’s range.

Winkelmann said sports car lovers had failed to find a “specific emotional connection” with EVs, because they missed the noise of a car with an internal combustion engine.“Investing heavily in full-EV development when the market and customer base are not ready would be an expensive hobby, and financially irresponsible towards shareholders, customers [and] to our employees and their families,” he said.He added: “Plug-in hybrids offer the best of both worlds, combining the agility and low-rev boost of electric battery technology with the emotion and power output of an internal combustion engine.”The decision to pull the plug on an all-electric vehicle marks a significant shift in the company’s green ambitions.In 2021, Lamborghini said it intended to produce only hybrid electric supercars by 2024 and announced a €1.

5bn (£1,3bn) investment in hybrid and all-electric vehicles,
cultureSee all
A picture

Stephen Colbert on Andrew’s arrest: ‘Let’s hear it for British justice’

Stephen Colbert discussed the arrest of the former prince Andrew and Donald Trump’s confusing new Board of Peace.The Late Show host told the audience of Epstein pal Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest to a sea of cheers. “Yes, finally, someone, anyone!” he said.He added: “Let’s hear it for British justice, which is better than American justice because it comes with frilly wigs.”Colbert also shared the now viral image captured by a photographer of Mountbatten-Windsor lying back in a car leaving the police station

A picture

From patriotic parody to threat: Flanders and Swann, the Likely Lads and Reform | Letter

Stuart Heritage rightly observes the satire that is inherent in For He is an Englishman, the “patriotic” song from HMS Pinafore, cropping up in popular culture (‘The rallying cry of the rich and horrible’, 17 February).For a more xenophobic but equally tongue-in-cheek exploration of the same vein of nationalism, screenwriters need look no further than A Song of Patriotic Prejudice, by Flanders and Swann. In this paean to the English, every other nation of the UK is rubbished through caricature, and the rest of Europe dismissed in a few lines (“The Germans are German, the Russians are red, and the Greeks and Italians eat garlic in bed!”).This line of reasoning is explored in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? too, where Terry, to the derision of his friend Bob, runs through the shortcomings of every other nation. “To tell you the truth, I don’t like anybody much outside this town,” Terry adds

A picture

Goodies galore in a Clued-up crossword tribute to Graeme Garden | Brief letters

Thanks to Soup for the splendid birthday compliment to Graeme Garden (Cryptic crossword, 18 February). It brought back joyous memories of the Goodies, and reminded me of how many years I’ve been hooting with laughter at I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue. Many happy returns, Graeme – and all power to your setting, Soup.Julie MottersheadDeal, Kent Roger Mosey makes a lot of good points in his critique of the current news agenda (While we’re seeking to fix what’s wrong with Britain, look hard at our policy-lite, sensation-seeking media, 18 February). At the BBC, we used to have something called “the significance test”

A picture

Salman Rushdie among 170 figures to sign open letter over Barbican arts lead departure

Salman Rushdie, John Akomfrah and Pankaj Mishra are among more than 170 cultural figures who have signed an open letter to the Barbican expressing concern over the departure of its arts director, Devyani Saltzman.Saltzman, who became director of arts and participation at the Barbican in February 2024, is leaving the institution amid a significant leadership change a few weeks after its new CEO joined.Saltzman was recently named as one of the 40 most influential women working in the arts in the UK, and was described as the driving force behind the organisation. Her departure comes months after she unveiled a five-year creative vision for the Barbican.“We are writing as a group of global majority creative and cultural leaders and allies to express our profound disappointment and alarm at the decision to curtail Devyani Saltzman’s tenure,” the letter said

A picture

Colbert on Trump’s Epstein ties: ‘Apparently he does not know the meaning of exonerated’

Stephen Colbert spoke about Donald Trump’s bizarre reaction to more Jeffrey Epstein questions and how Americans are struggling to feel optimism.On the Late Show, the host brought up a new Gallup poll, which shows that Americans are less hopeful than ever, with optimism at a new low.The number has reached into the 50s after previously landing at 69%. “Back then the future looked … nice,” he said.Trump has also seen his approval rating fall to a new second-term low of 36%

A picture

Australian screen industry crushed as Universal shutters Matchbox Pictures, with 30 jobs lost

Universal International Studios has confirmed it will close Matchbox Pictures after nearly 20 years of operations, effectively terminating one of Australia’s most stable connections to the global market.From the suburban tension of The Slap to the global Netflix dominance of The Survivors, Matchbox served as a sturdy bridge between distinctive Australian storytelling and the glossy boardrooms of Hollywood.Universal’s withdrawal from an on-the-ground presence in Australia came as a shock to the local screen industry, given the Australian company, co-founded by Tony Ayres and Penny Chapman 18 years ago, had delivered the most successful Australian-made TV drama on Netflix for 2025, with The Survivors achieving a global audience of 28 million.Another two Matchbox productions, Safe Harbour and Nowhere Boys, won international Emmys, and the Cate Blanchett co-production Stateless won a record-breaking 13 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) awards from 18 nominations, including best telefeature or miniseries, best screenplay and best direction in television.Sign up for the fun stuff with our rundown of must-reads, pop culture and tips for the weekend, every Saturday morningThe Hollywood studio has removed its permanent overheads – physical offices in Sydney and Melbourne, and a full-time staff of 30 – and moved to a model where it will only invest in a project once it is active