Starmer to extend online safety rules to AI chatbots after Grok scandal

A picture


Makers of AI chatbots that put children at risk will face massive fines or even see their services blocked in the UK under law changes to be announced by Keir Starmer on Monday.Emboldened by Elon Musk’s X stopping its Grok AI tool from creating sexualised images of real people in the UK after public outrage last month, ministers are planning a “crackdown on vile illegal content created by AI”.With more and more children using chatbots for everything from help with their homework to mental health support, the government said it would “move fast to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law”.Starmer is also planning to accelerate new restrictions on social media use by children if they are agreed by MPs after a public consultation into a possible under-16 ban.It means that any changes to children’s use of social media, which may include other measures such as restricting infinite scrolling, could happen as soon as this summer.

But the Conservatives dismissed the government’s claim to be acting quickly as “more smoke and mirrors” given the consultation has not yet started.“Claiming they are taking ‘immediate action’ is simply not credible when their so-called urgent consultation does not even exist,” said Laura Trott, the shadow education secretary.“Labour have repeatedly said they do not have a view on whether under-16s should be prevented from accessing social media.That is not good enough.I am clear that we should stop under-16s accessing these platforms.

”The moves come after the online regulator Ofcom admitted it lacked powers to act against Grok because images and videos that are created by a chatbot without it searching the internet are not in the scope of the existing laws, unless it amounts to pornography.The change to bring AI chatbots under the Online Safety Act could happen within weeks, although the loophole has been known about for more than two years.“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up,” said Starmer.“The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

”Companies that breach the Online Safety Act can face punishments of up to 10% of global revenue and regulators can apply to courts to block their connection in the UK.If AI chatbots are used specifically as search engines, to produce pornography or operate in user-to-user contexts, they are already covered by the act.But they can be used to create material that encourages people to self-harm or take their own lives, or even generate child sexual abuse material, without facing sanction.That is the loophole the government says it wants to close.The chief executive of the NSPCC, Chris Sherwood, said young people were contacting its helpline reporting harms caused by AI chatbots and that he did not trust tech companies to design them safely.

In one case, a 14-year-old girl who talked to an AI chatbot about her eating habits and body dysmorphia was given inaccurate information.In others, they have seen “young people who are self-harming even having content served up to them of more self-harming”.“Social media has produced huge benefits for young people, but lots of harm,” Sherwood said.“AI is going to be that on steroids if we’re not careful.”OpenAI, the $500bn San Francisco startup behind ChatGPT, one of the UK’s most popular chatbots, and xAI, which makes Grok, were approached for comment.

Since the Californian 16-year-old Adam Raine took his own life after, his family allege, “months of encouragement from ChatGPT”, OpenAI has launched parental controls and is rolling out age-prediction technology to restrict access to potentially harmful content,The government is also to consult on forcing social media platforms to make it impossible for users to send and receive nude images of children – a practice that is already illegal,Liz Kendall, the technology secretary, said: “We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media,”The Molly Rose Foundation, which was set up by the father of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who killed herself after viewing harmful content online, called the steps “a welcome downpayment”,But it called on the prime minister to commit to a new Online Safety Act “that strengthens regulation and makes clear that product safety and children’s wellbeing is the cost of doing business in the UK”.

In the UK, the NSPCC offers support to children on 0800 1111, and adults concerned about a child on 0808 800 5000.The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (Napac) offers support for adult survivors on 0808 801 0331.In the US, call or text the Childhelp abuse hotline on 800-422-4453.In Australia, children, young adults, parents and teachers can contact the Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800; adult survivors can seek help at Blue Knot Foundation on 1300 657 380.Other sources of help can be found at Child Helpline International
politicsSee all
A picture

What do we know about Reform UK’s frontbench team of four?

Nigel Farage has named the first four members of Reform UK’s frontbench team. Here are their briefs and what we know, so far, about their views.This budget demonstrates yet again that careful stewardship of the economy and meeting serious challenges in a serious way, thereby creating an environment for wealth creators to succeed, is always the right course. Now, the hard work of the British people is paying off.Jenrick, as exchequer secretary to the Treasury, speaks in praise of Philip Hammond’s October 2018 budget

A picture

Nigel Farage unveils Reform UK frontbench team and warns over dissent

Nigel Farage has unveiled the first part of Reform UK’s frontbench team, saying it shows that the party is no longer reliant entirely on him – while also warning that he will not tolerate any dissent from his colleagues.Two of the four appointees are recent defectors from the Conservatives: Robert Jenrick, who takes on the Treasury brief, and Suella Braverman, whom Farage has put in charge of education, skills and equalities.Richard Tice, Reform’s deputy leader, who before Jenrick’s arrival had been expected to have the Treasury role, has instead been handed a combined brief of business, trade and energy. Zia Yusuf, the party’s head of policy and the only one of the quartet not in parliament, has been given the home affairs and migration brief.Farage said the emergence of this team, with more posts to be announced soon, should end criticism that he runs a “one-man band”

A picture

‘Scandalous and unacceptable’: readers on the new UK entry rules for dual nationals

British dual nationals living abroad have told of their disgust, fury and distress over new UK border rules that mean they could risk being denied boarding on a flight, ferry or train.The new rules, which come into force on 25 February, have caught many by surprise and require British dual nationals to present a British passport or a “certificate of entitlement”, which costs £589, to visit the UK on their non-British passport.The changes will affect up to 1.2 million people who have moved abroad. Some have said the only option they now have is to renounce their British citizenship

A picture

‘Betrayed’: 21 Hartlepool councillors threaten to quit Labour over care budget

Keir Starmer is facing a mass resignation of Labour councillors in one of England’s poorest areas over a “betrayal” of funding for children in care.Labour councillors in Hartlepool, County Durham, said they were “between despair and open revolt” over an “unfair” cash settlement that would leave them unable to balance the books.Pamela Hargreaves, the Hartlepool council leader, told the Guardian that her group of 21 councillors, who are in overall control of the 36-member council, were considering quitting Labour this week in protest.“We feel betrayed. We feel let down,” she said

A picture

Farage expected to name Jenrick as potential future chancellor

Nigel Farage is expected to name Robert Jenrick as his potential future chancellor, as part of a series of appointments of key Reform UK politicians on Tuesday.The appointment of the recently defected former Conservative cabinet minister is likely to raise eyebrows within the party when the role had previously been widely expected to be handed to the former leader Richard Tice.Tice, a net- zero sceptic, will instead get the brief of business, energy and industry. Reports on Tuesday also suggested the party’s former chair Zia Yusuf would become home affairs spokesperson, responsible for immigration policy.Last year, Yusuf unveiled the party’s mass deportation policy, with the aim of deporting up to 650,000 people over a five-year period

A picture

Starmer abandons plans to delay local elections in England in latest U-turn

Keir Starmer has been forced to abandon plans to delay local elections with less than three months’ notice in another policy U-turn that has prompted anger among his own MPs and scorn from opposition leaders.The prime minister is under fire after ministers said on Monday they were abandoning plans to delay local elections in 30 places in England – a decision that will cost taxpayers millions of pounds in administrative costs.Steve Reed, the local government secretary, announced the reversal after officials decided they were likely to lose a legal challenge brought by Nigel Farage, the leader of Reform UK.The announcement has left the government facing a £100,000 legal bill from Reform, has prompted a scramble among councils to organise elections in the next 12 weeks, and has infuriated Labour MPs, many of whom opposed the decision to delay elections in the first place.It also adds to the pressure on the prime minister, who narrowly hung on to his job last week after losing two key officials and the support of Anas Sarwar, Labour’s leader in Scotland