H
recent
H
HOYONEWS
HomeBusinessTechnologySportPolitics
Others
  • Food
  • Culture
  • Society
Contact
Home
Business
Technology
Sport
Politics

Food

Culture

Society

Contact
Facebook page
H
HOYONEWS

Company

business
technology
sport
politics
food
culture
society

© 2025 Hoyonews™. All Rights Reserved.
Facebook page

Domenicali pleads for calm over fears new rules will wreck Formula One

about 6 hours ago
A picture


Stefano Domenicali, the chief executive of Formula One, has issued an urgent plea for calm after the damning driver criticism of the sport’s new regulations that has emerged during pre-season testing.But the Italian conceded that F1 is prepared to intervene and enforce changes should the racing prove disappointing.There has been a clamour of discontent over how the new regulations will play out, particularly the role of energy management rather than driving flat-out.Not least from the four-time champion Max Verstappen, who dismissed the new rules as being “anti-racing” and insinuated that he might leave F1 if he no longer enjoyed driving the new cars.Domenicali, speaking on the second day of the final pre-season test in Bahrain, faced a broadside of questions about the potential of the new rules being unappealing to fans and drivers and made repeated efforts to calm troubled waters.

“I’m totally positive to say that there will be another incredible year,” he said,“I don’t feel this anxiety, we need to stay calm because as always when there is something happening as a new regulation there’s always the doubt that everything is wrong,”It is telling that Domenicali felt the need to address the disquiet which has been circling around the paddock as early as when the first simulations of the new cars were run last year but has now become very public and vocal during testing,“I don’t understand what is all panicking going around because there will be an incredible racing, there will be a lot of action and that’s the most important thing,” he said,“I want to be positive in that respect and if something has to be rectified there will be the time and the measure that we can do together as a system to react.

”The regulation changes are the most wide-ranging in F1 history, including new engines featuring an almost 50-50 split between combustion and electrical power.The associated complex energy management demands on drivers lead them to have to lift off the throttle and with a finite amount of electrical energy available, drive in a prescribed fashion to ensure it is sufficiently recharged.Verstappen has been the most outspoken critic of the new rules, dismissing the cars as being “not fun to drive” and “Formula E on steroids” but he is not alone.Lewis Hamilton has also aired what is believed to be a key issue of concern, that it would be all but incomprehensible to fans.On the same day Domenicali addressed the issue even the world champion, Lando Norris, who had opened the week with a positive attitude towards the new cars, admitted he was concerned.

“It’s certainly very different,Is it as pure, is it as beautiful to drive as last year? Does it look as incredible? Definitely not and I agree with Max on a lot of comments, probably most of them,” Norris said,“I do agree with basically every other driver because I think every other driver has made their comments pretty clear,I just didn’t want to come out to the media and complain to everyone on the first weekend back,”Domenicali insisted he had spoken to all 20 drivers this week in Bahrain and listened to their opinions and that talks about issues remained ongoing but that he was confident Verstappen’s concerns would be assuaged.

“We know that Max will be part of the future of Formula One and of course it’s very important that we listen to him and as we listen to all the top drivers that are very important in this sport,” he said,Nikolas Tombazis, the single-seater director of the world governing body, the FIA, also weighed into the debate on Thursday and said the sport was ready to take action to change the rules if required,“We are completely conscious that we may need to make adjustments,” he said,“That has been a discussion we’ve been open with, with the teams and the power unit manufacturers for a long, long time and with the drivers,We are taking the drivers’ comments into consideration.

”Tombazis noted that no changes would take place until an assessment was made of the opening rounds in Australia and China and to allow the correct governance process required but Domenicali was unequivocal in admitting that, while he was calling for cool heads, action would be taken in no short order should it be needed.“For me, what has to be protected and if this will not be the case we need to intervene, is having great racing, great overtaking opportunities, great challenges that you can give to the drivers to show if they are the best,” he said.“So, if these points will not be taken the right way, of course, we need to in a way intervene and react immediately.”
businessSee all
A picture

Airbus suggests split solution for Europe’s faltering fighter jet programme

Airbus has suggested splitting Europe’s faltering future fighter jet programme into two separate warplanes, amid a dispute between manufacturers over who leads the €100bn (£87bn) project.The company’s defence arm – which represents Germany and Spain – and the French partner, Dassault Aviation, are locked in a battle over the jet part of the Future Combat Air System (FCAS), a wide-ranging project that will also include autonomous drones and a futuristic “combat communications cloud”.Guillaume Faury, Airbus’s chief executive, said on Thursday that the deadlock over the planned next-generation jet “should not jeopardise the entire future of this hi-tech European capability, which will bolster our collective defence.“If mandated by our customers, we would support a two-fighter solution and are committed to playing a leading role in such a reorganised FCAS delivered through European cooperation.”Earlier this week, the German chancellor, Friedrich Merz, signalled that the planned warplane did not suit Germany’s needs, in the latest blow to the project

about 17 hours ago
A picture

MPs in call to halt Drax’s £2m-a-day subsidy over sustainability doubts

Ed Miliband is under pressure from MPs to suspend subsidies worth £2m a day paid to the owner of the Drax power plant in North Yorkshire after court documents cast doubt on the company’s sustainability claims.A cross-party group of 14 MPs and peers have called on the energy minister to halt the subsidies for Britain’s biggest power plant while the financial watchdog investigates the company’s claims about how it sources the millions of tonnes of wood pellets burned to generate electricity.In a letter, seen by the Guardian, the politicians said they were “deeply concerned” that Drax may have been given “substantial billpayer subsidy” while the company “may have knowingly and consistently concealed information” about the green credentials of its wood sources.The FTSE 250 owner of the Drax power plant gets about £2m a day in renewable energy subsidies, paid by consumers, on the condition it generates electricity from biomass pellets made from waste or low-value wood from sustainable forests.Drax, Britain’s single biggest source of carbon emissions, imports millions of tonnes of wood pellets from across the Atlantic every year and is projected to receive £11bn in subsidies by the end of 2027

about 20 hours ago
A picture

Centrica boss to get £3.6m bonus despite sharp fall in profits

The owner of British Gas will hand its chief executive, Chris O’Shea, another salary increase despite a shareholder rebellion over its decision to raise his pay last year while households faced record levels of energy debt.O’Shea will receive £4.7m for 2025 after Centrica increased his base salary from £855,000 to £1.1m. He will also receive a £1

about 21 hours ago
A picture

Retailers in UK plan to cut staff hours and jobs amid rising employment costs

UK retailers are planning to cut staff hours and jobs amid rising employment costs and pessimism about the economy.More than half (52%) of finance bosses at retail companies said they planned to reduce working hours or cut overtime, according to the latest survey from the British Retail Consortium (BRC), the trade body that represents most big retailers. Almost half (48%) said they would cut head office jobs and 32% said they would reduce jobs in stores.The potential job cuts are likely to add to pressure for political action on work for young people who are particularly affected by the lower availability of entry-level jobs in retail and hospitality.The retail sector has shed 74,000 jobs in the past year partly owing to new technology, from AI marketing and stock management tools to automated tills

1 day ago
A picture

Coles’ shameless ‘Down Down’ promotions have been exposed. So why aren’t they even trying to rebuild trust? | John Quiggin

Like millions of Australians, I shop at Coles. I’m not as careful as I should be, but I try to buy things advertised as being discounted, or on special. But after following a recent case before the federal court, I’ll be checking my old receipts before accepting such claims. In particular, I’ll be avoiding “Down Down” promotions. On the evidence before the court, such promotions are routinely used as a way of implementing price increases

1 day ago
A picture

Trump’s immigration siege is rattling hospitality industry, workers say

Donald Trump’s immigration policies are having a chilling effect on the hospitality industry, where nearly a third of workers are immigrants, according to the largest hospitality union in the US.The number of employed hospitality workers dropped by 98,000 from December 2024 to December 2025, according to a report from Unite Here, which represents 300,000 workers across the hospitality, food and tourism industries in the US and Canada.Union leaders say the Trump administration’s brutal immigration crackdown has not only scared workers but has also discouraged international tourism. The US saw a decline of $1.2bn, or a 5

1 day ago
cultureSee all
A picture

Colbert on Trump’s Epstein ties: ‘Apparently he does not know the meaning of exonerated’

1 day ago
A picture

‘He invented a style’: war chronicler Robert Capa refashioned himself and revolutionised photography

1 day ago
A picture

Australian screen industry crushed as Universal shutters Matchbox Pictures, with 30 jobs lost

2 days ago
A picture

Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton among those to condemn Berlinale’s ‘silence’ on Gaza

2 days ago
A picture

Colbert on Kristi Noem: ‘Everyone can’t wait to tell a reporter how awful you are’

3 days ago
A picture

Barbican arts director to leave, months after revealing creative vision for centre

3 days ago