US small businesses sound alarm over Trump’s tariffs amid crucial holiday season

A picture


Donald Trump’s tariffs have increased prices on an array of popular holiday goods and driven a “massive” number of small firms out of business, industry leaders have warned.On Small Business Saturday, firms have their fingers crossed that strong holiday sales will ease the impact of a tough year.But many aren’t holding their breath.“My husband and I have invested a lot of our retirement money into this business,” Joann Cartiglia, owner of Queen’s Treasures, a toy company in Ticonderoga, New York, during a press briefing organized by We Pay the Tariffs, a coalition of small businesses, this week.“And now I have absolutely no hope of retirement.

”“I honestly feel the government is putting me out of business,” added Cartiglia, 64.Lawsuits, opposition from big business, and pleas for help from small importers have failed to persuade the Trump administration to reconsider its aggressive strategy on trade from overseas, which the US president claims will raise trillions of dollars for the federal government.Opponents of tariffs are “serving hostile foreign interests”, Trump has claimed.Small businesses, particularly in the retail industry, typically rely heavily on the holiday trading season, but are grappling with increased costs, supply chain disruption, logistical issues and uncertainty due to tariffs.Tariffs have hit some small businesses especially hard, as they often have smaller margins – and are less able to absorb costs, or secure exemptions – than bigger firms.

Jared Hendricks has run Village Lighting Co in West Valley City, Utah, which specializes in holiday lights and decorations, for over 20 years,He estimates his tariff costs are approaching $1m so far this year,“At this point, we’ve kind of transitioned from working for profits to working for tariffs,” said Hendricks,“We are just in business to pay off our tariff debt,”But some operators anticipate that the problem is likely to get worse.

“Whatever price increases you’re seeing in the holiday industry for your Christmas trees, for your lighting, for your other decor, this year will be small compared to next year, if tariff relief isn’t given for the 2026 season,” added Hendricks.“American manufacturing has never done Christmas goods, so it’s not responsible for taking away any jobs.“The supply chain for Christmas items is simply too complex, and [it] would take billions of dollars in decades to build that infrastructure to move that production here.And then, even if you did, the workforce is not sufficient to support it.”Boyd Stephenson, owner of Game Kastle College Park in College Park, Maryland, said the firm’s costs had soared due to the tariffs.

“Most of my manufacturers and publishers don’t really have the space to absorb, or to pass on price increases to their customers, so they’re getting squeezed,” he said.“The number of toy and game studios that I have seen go under this year is massive.“Up until a month ago, I’d be saying: ‘Hey, most of the federal workforce isn’t employed either, so we’re hunkering down for a terrifying holiday season.’ But we’re still pretty scared, even with the shutdown being over.”A survey of 1,048 small businesses conducted by Small Business for America’s Future found 71% of small business owners expect tariffs to have a negative impact on consumer spending this holiday season, and 44% expect a very negative impact.

About 44% of small businesses surveyed reported raising prices due to tariffs, and 74% reported being worried about their business surviving over the next 12 months,“The administration has consistently maintained that the cost of tariffs will ultimately be paid by the foreign exporters who rely on access to the American economy, the world’s biggest and best consumer market,” said a White House spokesperson, Kush Desai,“As tariffs secure new trade deals and trillions in investments to make and hire in America, the administration is simultaneously implementing a pro-growth agenda of tax cuts, deregulation, and energy abundance for big and small businesses alike to thrive again as they did during President Trump’s first term,”,
societySee all
A picture

What has happened since the UK supreme court’s gender ruling?

In April, the supreme court ruled in a long-running case against the Scottish government brought by gender critical campaigners For Women Scotland (FWS). The landmark judgment said that, for the purposes of the Equality Act, the legal definition of a woman was based on biological sex. We look at what has happened since the ruling.The judgment has significant ramifications for who can now access women-only services and spaces, such as refuges or toilets, but most public bodies, businesses and other service providers are still waiting for an updated code of practice from the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), which will offer practical guidance on how to apply the ruling.A few companies, such as Barclays, moved quickly to bar transgender people from using toilets of their lived gender, as did Virgin Active, after a legal threat this summer

A picture

Rage rooms: can smashing stuff up really help to relieve anger and stress?

If you find it hard to count to 10 when anger bubbles up, a new trend offers a more hands-on approach. Rage rooms are cropping up across the UK, allowing punters to smash seven bells out of old TVs, plates and furniture.Such pay-to-destroy ventures are thought to have originated in Japan in 2008, but have since gone global. In the UK alone venues can be found in locations from Birmingham to Brighton, with many promoting destruction as a stress-relieving experience.According to Smash It Rage Rooms in south-east London, where a 30-minute solo session costs £50, “each smash is a cathartic release, a burst of pure, primal joy”

A picture

Cuts to insulation scheme will leave homes cold over winter, experts say

Cuts to a scheme for insulation and heatpumps for low-income households will leave homes damp, draughty and unsafe over winter, experts have said.Housing have asked for a one-year extension to the scheme to ensure continuity and prevent small retrofit firms going bust. Companies say funding for solar panels and insulation is already being withdrawn, leaving homes cold and draughty as winter sets in.Rachel Reeves announced in her budget that she would cut £150 a year from the average energy bill, partly financed by axing the £1.3bn energy company obligation (ECO) scheme that helped fund upgrades for homes owned or rented by households earning under £31,000

A picture

‘The admin’: why it’s not easy to rename streets called after Prince Andrew

Streets named after Andrew, formerly known as Prince but now plain Mountbatten-Windsor, can be found from Broadstairs to Belfast to Birmingham. Roads, avenues, terraces, lanes, crescents, closes, drives and ways are all afflicted – to the dismay of some residents.In Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, Prince Andrew Way, celebrating Mountbatten-Windsor’s 1986 marriage to Sarah Ferguson, will be purged after Mid and East Antrim council passed a motion, described by one councillor as “sad but necessary”, to rename. A public consultation is under way.In Maidenhead, Berkshire, there is a double whammy of Prince Andrew Road adjoining Prince Andrew Close, where some residents have complained of “surface-level embarrassment” , “smirks” and “raised eyebrows” whenever they give their address

A picture

Brain damage, blindness and death: the global trail of trauma left by methanol-laced alcohol

For Bethany Clarke, poison tasted like nothing. There was no bitter aftertaste, no astringent sting at the back of the tongue. If anything, she thought in passing, the free shots she and her friends were drinking at a hostel bar in Laos had probably been watered down – she wasn’t detecting a strong vodka flavour through the veil of Sprite she had mixed it with.All in all, Clarke remembers drinking about five of those shots, sitting with her best friend, Simone White, and a crowd of others at the hostel’s happy hour. CCTV footage shows the group laughing in the warm air of the open bar in the town of Vang Vieng, green and red lights dancing over their shoulders

A picture

Londoners told to be vigilant with messages after cyber-attack on council

A London council has urged thousands of residents to be “extra vigilant” when receiving calls, emails or text messages after confirming that data had been taken in a cyber-attack.The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC), which has 147,500 residents, said some data had been copied from its systems in an attack this week.The council said it believed the theft related to “historical data” but it was checking whether it contained any personal or financial details of residents, customers or service users.“With advice from the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), we are encouraging all residents, customers and service users to be extra vigilant when called, emailed or sent text messages,” the council said.Three London councils have been affected by cyber-attacks this week, with RBKC and Westminster city council saying a number of systems had been affected across both authorities, including phone lines