H
technology
H
HOYONEWS
HomeBusinessTechnologySportPolitics
Others
  • Food
  • Culture
  • Society
Contact
Home
Business
Technology
Sport
Politics

Food

Culture

Society

Contact
Facebook page
H
HOYONEWS

Company

business
technology
sport
politics
food
culture
society

© 2025 Hoyonews™. All Rights Reserved.
Facebook page

Tech billionaires fly in for Delhi AI expo as Modi jostles to lead in south

about 21 hours ago
A picture


Silicon Valley tech billionaires will land in Delhi this week for an AI summit hosted by India’s prime minister, Narendra Modi, where leaders of the global south will wrestle for control over the fast-developing technology.During the week-long AI Impact Summit, attended by thousands of tech executives, government officials and AI safety experts, tech companies valued at trillions of dollars will rub along with leaders of countries such as Kenya and Indonesia, where average wages dip well below $1,000 a month.Amid a push to speed up AI adoption across the globe, Sundar Pichai, Sam Altman and Dario Amodei, the heads of Google, OpenAI and Anthropic, will all be there.Rishi Sunak and George Osborne, a former British prime minister and a former chancellor, will each be pushing for greater adoption of AI.Sunak has taken jobs for Microsoft and Anthropic and Osborne leads OpenAI’s push to deepen and widen the use of ChatGPT beyond its existing 800 million users.

Meanwhile Modi, who will address the summit on Thursday, is positioning India as the AI hub for south Asia and Africa.On the agenda will be AI’s potential to transform agriculture, water supplies and public health.Governments in Kenya, Senegal, Mauritius, Togo, Indonesia and Egypt will send ministers.Modi’s enthusiasm for AI has a darker side, civil liberties campaigners say.Last week they raised serious concerns about India deploying AI to increase state surveillance, discriminate against minorities and sway elections.

But Modi this week spoke of “harnessing artificial intelligence for human-centric progress” and India has given the summit the strapline: “Welfare for all, happiness for all.”Summit observers talk of a battle between a new kind of AI colonialism from the US tech firms and an alternative “techno-Gandhism”, in which AI is used for social justice and to benefit marginalised people.After global AI summits in the UK, Korea and France, the Delhi meeting is the first to be held in the global south.Indian commentators say the test of AI’s value is not in its technical sophistication but whether it can improve the lives of people living in some of the toughest circumstances in the global south.By contrast, US AI companies are racing for supremacy, competing with each other and China, and rolling out AI for shopping, personal companionship and agentic systems that could slash corporate labour costs by making white-collar jobs redundant.

If a referee between the two sides is needed, António Guterres, the secretary general of the United Nations, will speak in Delhi.This week he said it would be “totally unacceptable that AI would be just a privilege of the most developed countries or a division only between two superpowers”.India’s AI Impact Summit is the fourth iteration of the event, which Sunak launched in 2023 at Bletchley Park in the UK, with a focus on international coordination to prevent catastrophic risks from the most advanced AI models.Summits followed in Seoul in 2024 and Paris in 2025, where the US vice-president, JD Vance, appeared to abandon the White House’s interest in safety saying: “The AI future will not be won by hand-wringing about safety; it will be won by building.”Safety is once again on the agenda, with Yoshua Bengio, one of the “godfathers” of AI, on hand to repeat his fears about the risk of powerful AI systems enabling cyber- and bioweapons attacks.

“The capabilities of AI have continued to advance, and although mitigation and risk management of AI has also progressed [it has happened] not as quickly,” he said on Tuesday,“So it becomes urgent that leaders of this world understand where we could be going and it needs their attention and intervention as soon as possible,”One of those working at the summit to make sure AI remains safe will be Nicolas Miaihle, co-founder of the AI Safety Connect group, who noted that the summit was taking place in the shadow of AI-enabled warfare in Ukraine and the Middle East,“The existential risks are not going anywhere,” he told the Guardian,“When Rishi Sunak started this, the race was not raging as hard.

The trillions are pouring in but we are very far away from securing these models.This is profound for democracy, profound for the mental health of our kids and profound for warfare.”But the Trump administration continues its policy of refusing to bind US AI companies with red tape.The White House is not expected to send a high-level representative to Delhi, with Sriram Krishnan, its senior AI policy adviser, the highest-ranked speaker listed in the programme.“Given where we are with the US administration it’s pretty unlikely you’re going to have a massive breakthrough on any consensus on what a regulatory framework will look like,” said one senior AI company source.

Companies such as Google are focused on the use of AI in education in India, where large language models’ ability to function in many of the country’s dozens of languages is an advantage.“[There’s] a big focus on access and adoption, how can you make sure that the technology is available as broadly as possible,” said Owen Larter, head of frontier AI policy and public affairs at Google DeepMind.“We’re excited on the education front in India.It’s a remarkable story of an incredibly intense adoption.About 90% of teachers and students already using AI in their learning.

We’ve had a big promotional programme where 2 million students have access to our pro subscription for free,”Google’s investments in India include a $15bn spend, in partnership with the conglomerate of Gautam Adani, one of India’s richest billionaires, on an gigawatt-scale AI datacentre hub in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam, in Andhra Pradesh, with subsea cables connecting to other parts of the world,
politicsSee all
A picture

Labour insiders fear ‘annihilation’ in Lancashire local elections after U-turn

Labour figures in the county with the highest number of reinstated council elections, following the government’s recent U-turn, have said they fear the party will be “annihilated” when voters go to the polls in May.The polls had expected to be postponed pending a reorganisation of local government in the county and a move to unitary authorities, but earlier this week the local government secretary, Steve Reed, scrapped plans to delay the elections, after Reform UK threatened a legal challenge.Two councils, Blackburn with Darwen and Blackpool, are already unitary authorities, while the other 12 districts are two-tier and sit under Lancashire county council.With the government’s U-turn, seven councils will now have elections in May they had not expected; Burnley, Blackburn, Hyndburn, Pendle, Chorley, West Lancashire and Preston – an area with nearly 790,000 people – meaning the county will have more unexpected elections than any other. A total of 30 local authorities will now hold elections in May when they had not expected to, with almost a quarter of those in Lancashire

about 10 hours ago
A picture

Reform UK would restore two-child benefit cap, Jenrick says in policy U-turn

Reform UK would restore the two-child benefit cap in full, Robert Jenrick has announced, in a major U-turn for the party that critics said would plunge hundreds of thousands of children into poverty.In his first speech as Reform’s Treasury spokesperson, Jenrick said the party had changed tack since Nigel Farage last year said he would scrap the two-child limit and suggested his party wanted to go “much further to encourage people to have children”.As part of a full-frontal attack on benefits, Jenrick also said the Motability scheme, which enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair to help them be independent, would be reformed to “end abuse” where “expensive cars are handed out for conditions like tennis elbow and paid for by working people who can’t afford those cars themselves”.Jenrick also said only British nationals would be able to claim benefits under a Reform UK government, and people claiming benefits for “mild anxiety, depression, and similar conditions” would be stopped. Those with mental health issues would have to have a clinical diagnosis “to weed out those who are choosing a life on benefits”

about 11 hours ago
A picture

Boss of BAE Systems urges ministers to publish delayed military spending plan

The boss of Britain’s biggest defence company has urged ministers to publish a long-delayed blueprint for military spending as soon as possible, as it posted record sales driven by a global increase in demand after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.Charles Woodburn, the chief executive of BAE Systems, said companies want clarity on how the money would be spent, adding that the defence investment plan (DIP) – due in late 2025 – was holding back investment.“We were expecting it before the end of last year and from an industry perspective we’re all keen to crack on,” he said on Wednesday. “The sooner the better as far as we’re concerned.“Earlier clarity means that industry can make plans and invest, deploy our strong balance sheets … so looking for clarity is important for business

about 15 hours ago
A picture

Nigel Farage unveils Reform UK frontbench team and warns over dissent

Nigel Farage has unveiled the first part of Reform UK’s frontbench team, saying it shows that the party is no longer reliant entirely on him – while also warning that he will not tolerate any dissent from his colleagues.Two of the four appointees are recent defectors from the Conservatives: Robert Jenrick, who takes on the Treasury brief, and Suella Braverman, whom Farage has put in charge of education, skills and equalities.Richard Tice, Reform’s deputy leader, who before Jenrick’s arrival had been expected to have the Treasury role, has instead been handed a combined brief of business, trade and energy. Zia Yusuf, the party’s head of policy and the only one of the quartet not in parliament, has been given the home affairs and migration brief.Farage said the emergence of this team, with more posts to be announced soon, should end criticism that he runs a “one-man band”

1 day ago
A picture

What made ministers think they could delay local elections in England?

Ministers have abandoned their proposals to delay local elections in 30 English councils after finding they were likely to lose a legal case on the issue. Announced on Monday, the U-turn was made by the housing minister, Matthew Pennycook, after his boss, the housing secretary, Steve Reed, recused himself from the decision. The chain of events has raised several questions about government decision-making that officials are refusing to answer.Ministers have postponed local elections before. Last year Angela Rayner, as local government secretary, announced that elections for nine councils would be delayed to allow them to carry out a major reorganisation

1 day ago
A picture

Norfolk council leader pulls out of long-awaited devolution deal over election U-turn

A Norfolk council leader has accused the government of “bullying” her local authority into postponing elections in return for extra funding and powers, as she pulled out of long-awaited devolution deal for the county.Kay Mason Billig, the Conservative leader of Norfolk county council, said she would no longer take part in local government reorganisation (LGR) or devolution plans in the area, saying the council could not participate in that and simultaneously hold elections.Her announcement came after the government scrapped plans to postpone local elections at 30 councils in England undergoing reorganisation, in the face of a legal challenge from Reform UK.There are concerns the election U-turn, which will see officials scrambling to organise ballots in time for polling day in May, could throw plans for the biggest council shake-up in 50 years into disarray.“Words fail me for describing the mess the government have created with their election hokey cokey,” Billig said

1 day ago
cultureSee all
A picture

Colbert on Kristi Noem: ‘Everyone can’t wait to tell a reporter how awful you are’

1 day ago
A picture

Barbican arts director to leave, months after revealing creative vision for centre

2 days ago
A picture

British Museum removes word ‘Palestine’ from some displays

3 days ago
A picture

My cultural awakening: ‘Thirteen influenced my hedonistic youth, until a psychotic episode ended it’

5 days ago
A picture

The Guide #230: From Oasis to Bowie, your stories of seeing pre-stardom acts

5 days ago
A picture

From Wuthering Heights to Mario Tennis Fever: your complete entertainment guide to the week ahead

5 days ago