H
technology
H
HOYONEWS
HomeBusinessTechnologySportPolitics
Others
  • Food
  • Culture
  • Society
Contact
Home
Business
Technology
Sport
Politics

Food

Culture

Society

Contact
Facebook page
H
HOYONEWS

Company

business
technology
sport
politics
food
culture
society

© 2025 Hoyonews™. All Rights Reserved.
Facebook page

After a teddy bear talked about kink, AI watchdogs are warning parents against smart toys

2 days ago
A picture


As the holiday season looms into view with Black Friday, one category on people’s gift lists is causing increasing concern: products with artificial intelligence.The development has raised new concerns about the dangers smart toys could pose to children, as consumer advocacy groups say AI could harm kids’ safety and development.The trend has prompted calls for increased testing of such products and governmental oversight.“If we look into how these toys are marketed and how they perform and the fact that there is little to no research that shows that they are beneficial for children – and no regulation of AI toys – it raises a really big red flag,” said Rachel Franz, director of Young Children Thrive Offline, an initiative from Fairplay, which works to protect children from big tech.Last week, those fears were given brutal justification when an AI-equipped teddy bear started discussing sexually explicit topics.

The product, FoloToy’s Kumma, ran on an OpenAI model and responded to questions about kink,It suggested bondage and roleplay as ways to enhance a relationship, according to a report from the Public Interest Research Group (Pirg), the consumer protection organization behind the study,“It took very little effort to get it to go into all kinds of sexually sensitive topics and probably a lot of content that parents would not want their children to be exposed to,” said Teresa Murray, Pirg consumer watchdog director,Products like the teddy bear are part of a global smart-toy market valued at $16,7bn in 2023, according to Allied Market Research.

The industry is particularly big in China, which has more than 1,500 AI toy companies, which are working to expand abroad, MIT Technology Review reports.In addition to the Shanghai-based startup FoloToy, Curio, a California-based company, works with OpenAI and makes a stuffed toy, Grok, as in Elon Musk’s chatbot, voiced by the musician Grimes.In June, Mattel, which owns brands like Barbie and Hot Wheels, also announced a partnership with OpenAI to “support AI-powered products and experiences”.Before the Pirg report on the creepy teddy bear, parents, technology researchers and lawmakers had already raised concerns about the impact of bots on minors’ mental health.In October, the chatbot company Character.

AI announced that it would ban users under 18 following a lawsuit alleging that its bot exacerbated a teen’s depression and caused him to kill himself.Murray said AI toys could be particularly dangerous because whereas earlier smart toys provided children-programmed responses, a bot can “have a free-flowing conversation with a child and there are no boundaries, as we found”.That could not only lead to sexually explicit conversations, but children could become attached to a bot rather than a person or imaginary friend, which could hurt their development, said Jacqueline Woolley, director of the Children’s Research Center at the University of Texas at Austin.For example, a child can benefit from having a disagreement with a friend and learning how to resolve it.That is less likely to happen with bots, which are often sycophantic, said Woolley, who consulted on the Pirg study.

“I worry about inappropriate bonding,” Woolley said.Companies also use the AI toys to collect data from children and have not been transparent about what they are doing with that information, Franz, of Fairplay, said.That potentially puts users at risk because of a lack of security around such data, Franz said.Hackers have been able to take control of AI products.“Because of the trust that the toys engender, I would say that children are more likely to tell their deepest thoughts to these toys,” Franz said.

“The surveillance is unnecessary and inappropriate.”Despite such concerns, Pirg is not calling for a ban on AI toys, which could have educational value, like helping children learn a second language or state capitals, Murray said.“There is nothing wrong with having some kind of educational tool, but that same educational tool isn’t telling you that it’s your best friend, that you can tell me anything,” Murray said.The organization is calling for additional regulation of these toys for children under 13 but has not made specific policy recommendations, Murray said.There also needs to be more independent research conducted to ensure the products are safe for children and, until that is done, they should be pulled from shelves, Franz said.

“We need short-term and longitudinal independent research on the impacts of children interacting with AI toys, including their social-emotional development” and cognitive development, Franz said.Following the Pirg report, OpenAI announced it was suspending FoloToy.The toy company’s CEO then told CNN that it was pulling the bear from the market and “conducting an internal safety audit”.Earlier this week, it reintroduced the product, posting on social media on Friday morning that it had “initiated a deep, company-wide internal safety audit; strengthened and upgraded our content-moderation and child-safety safeguards; and deployed enhanced safety rules and protections through our cloud-based system”.“As global attention on AI toy safety continues to rise, we believe that transparency, responsibility and continuous improvement are essential,” it said.

“FoloToy remains firmly committed to building safe, age-appropriate AI companions for children and families worldwide.”It did not, however, confirm in the statement if it had consulted with independent experts before re-releasing the bear, as it claimed to the Register after pulling the product that it would do.RJ Cross, the director of Pirg’s consumer privacy program, said FoloToy’s turnaround “does seem perhaps a little quick for a comprehensive safety audit, but what matters most is if the immediate problems got fixed”.He urged the company to allow access to outside experts, and said that regardless, questions remain about whether any AI “friends” are good for children.“We don’t know what an AI companion toy might do to a child’s long-term social development,” he said.

“This is a question no corporate safety audit can answer right now.”FoloToy did not immediately respond a request for comment.On Thursday, 80 organizations, including Fairplay, issued an advisory urging families not to buy AI toys this holiday season.“AI toys are being marketed to families as safe and even beneficial to learning before their impact has been assessed by independent research,” the release states.“By contrast, offline teddy bears and toys have been proven to benefit children’s development with none of the risks of AI toys.

”Curio, maker of the Grok toy, told the Guardian in an email that after reviewing the Pirg report, “we are actively working with our team to address any concerns, while continuously overseeing content and interactions to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for children”.Mattel stated that its first products with OpenAI “will focus on families and older customers” and that “use of OpenAI APIs is not intended for users under 13”.“AI complements – not replaces – traditional play, and we are emphasizing safety, privacy, creativity and responsible innovation,” the company stated.Franz referred to past privacy concerns with Mattel’s smart products and said: “It’s good that Mattel is claiming that their AI products are not for young kids, but if we look at who plays with toys and who toys are marketed to, it’s young children.”Franz added: “We’re very interested in learning the concrete steps Mattel will take to ensure their OpenAI products are not actually used by kids who will surely recognize and be attracted to the brands.

”
trendingSee all
A picture

Is gen Z’s love of fried chicken pushing Britain to ‘peak pizza’?

Competition intensifies as former chief of Domino’s says days of ‘massive growth’ are overPizza has become ubiquitous on British dinner plates, with chains such as Pizza Express, Franco Manca, Domino’s and Goodfella’s dominating the market – but is its popularity starting to cool?Domino’s Pizza Group announced this week that its chief executive of two years had stepped down with immediate effect, less than two weeks after he appeared to suggest the UK may be approaching “peak pizza”.Andrew Rennie – who worked for Domino’s for more than two decades and in the top job for just two – told the Financial Times this month there was not “massive growth” left in the UK’s pizza market.Given the fast-growing demand for fried chicken, he said it was “pretty obvious” the group should broaden its menu.Rennie’s calculations are borne out by the shrinking presence of pizza restaurants on UK high streets after a period of rapid expansion more than a decade ago.The number of chain pizza restaurants has fallen from 5,000 in 2015 to 3,750 today, according to the restaurant analysts CGA, with companies such as Pizza Express, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns closing outlets in recent years

about 5 hours ago
A picture

Net migration is plummeting. Why can’t Labour say so? | Heather Stewart

Keir Starmer’s response to the 69% fall in net migration revealed in official figures last week was to remark: “That’s a step in the right direction.”Describing a reduction of more than two-thirds of any indicator in a single year as a “step” would be a creative use of statistics, putting it kindly.But on this most polarising of topics, and for the prime minister, whose job it is to shape public opinion, not cower before it (to “teach”, as the longtime political commentator Steve Richards calls it), it was inexcusable.Starmer’s insouciance about the collapse in numbers – from 649,000 last year to 204,000 in the year to June – was just the latest example of how damagingly detached from reality political debate about migration has become.Since Brexit, net migration has been on a rollercoaster ride more dramatic than anything at Alton Towers – a record rise followed in short order by a record decline

about 5 hours ago
A picture

How big tech is creating its own friendly media bubble to ‘win the narrative battle online’

At a time when distrust of big tech is high, Silicon Valley is embracing an alternative ecosystem where every CEO is a starA montage of Palantir’s CEO, Alex Karp, and waving US flags set to a remix of AC/DC’s Thunderstruck blasts out as the intro for the tech billionaire’s interview with Sourcery, a YouTube show presented by the digital finance platform Brex. Over the course of a friendly walk through the company offices, Karp fields no questions about Palantir’s controversial ties to ICE but instead extolls the company’s virtues, brandishes a sword and discusses how he exhumed the remains of his childhood dog Rosita to rebury them near his current home.“That’s really sweet,” host Molly O’Shea tells Karp.If you are looking to hear from some of tech’s most powerful people, you will increasingly find them on a constellation of shows and podcasts like Sourcery that provide a safe space for an industry that is wary, if not openly hostile, towards critical media outlets. Some of the new media outlets are created by the companies themselves

1 day ago
A picture

More than 1,000 Amazon workers warn rapid AI rollout threatens jobs and climate

More than 1,000 Amazon employees have signed an open letter expressing “serious concerns” about AI development, saying that the company’s “all-costs justified, warp speed” approach to the powerful technology will cause damage to “democracy, to our jobs, and to the earth.”The letter, published on Wednesday, was signed by the Amazon workers anonymously, and comes a month after Amazon announced mass layoff plans as it increases adoption of AI in its operations.Among the signatories are staffers in a range of positions, including engineers, product managers and warehouse associates.Reflecting broader AI concerns across the industry, the letter was also supported by more than 2,400 workers from companies including Meta, Google, Apple and Microsoft.The letter contains a range of demands for Amazon, concerning its impact on the workplace and the environment

2 days ago
A picture

Head ready to open again in second Ashes Test and says flexible batters will be key

Having swashbuckled Australia to victory after vaulting to the top of the order in the first Ashes Test, Travis Head arrived in Brisbane on Sunday to begin his preparations for the second, saying that the future of the format lies in the hands of batters who can flex into a variety of positions. Head described pliable positions as “where the game’s going to”, proposing that Australia could already “use these players in a range of different ways to win games of cricket”.Last month Pat Cummins, Australia’s injured captain, described the concept of batting orders as “pretty overrated”, insisting quality players “can bat wherever” – an opinion Head echoed.“I think you could use this order and these players in a range of different ways to win games of cricket,” he said. “We’ve seen it in red-ball, and particularly pink-ball, as well as non-traditional stuff, with double nightwatchmen, and how you use orders and how you use players in certain situations

about 8 hours ago
A picture

Eli Katoa hopeful of NRL return as he pays tribute to partner and Storm after brain surgery

Eli Katoa remains hopeful of a return to the NRL, saying his recovery from brain surgery is “going well” as he paid tribute to his partner and fans for supporting him.Katoa was ruled out of the 2026 NRL season after undergoing emergency surgery in New Zealand to treat a brain bleed that he suffered while playing for Tonga in the Pacific Championships in early November.The Melbourne Storm second-rower’s career was thrown into doubt after he suffered three head knocks in 90 minutes and required oxygen on the sidelines.Katoa spent more than two weeks in hospital before consulting with specialists in Melbourne, who advised that he not play next season.The 25-year-old is continuing his rehabilitation and recovery under the watch of the Storm medical staff, and said he hoped to play again

about 13 hours ago
cultureSee all
A picture

From Christy to Neil Young: your complete entertainment guide to the week ahead

1 day ago
A picture

Susan Loppert obituary

2 days ago
A picture

Oh yes he is! Kiefer Sutherland dives into the world of panto

2 days ago
A picture

O come out ye faithful: a joyful roundup of UK culture this Christmas

2 days ago
A picture

Nominate your favourite Australian children’s picture book of all time

4 days ago
A picture

Jimmy Kimmel: ‘Thankful that we only have five weeks left in this year’

4 days ago