Airbus issues major A320 recall after mid-air incident grounds planes, disrupting global travel

A picture


Airlines around the world cancelled and delayed flights heading into the weekend after Airbus announced on Friday that it had ordered immediate repairs to 6,000 of its A320 family of jets in a recall affecting more than half of the global fleet,The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which is the main certifying authority for A320 aircraft, issued the instruction on Friday night as a precautionary action, saying that “safety is paramount”,The US Federal Aviation Administration also issued an emergency airworthiness directive for certain Airbus planes, requiring the aircraft to replace or modify specific software,The fix mainly involves reverting to earlier software and is relatively simple, but must be carried out before the planes can fly again, according to the bulletin to airlines seen by Reuters,Of the 6,000 jets affected, a sub-set will need a time-consuming hardware change rather than a quick software fix, though the number that require more extensive fixes was smaller than the initial estimates of 1,000, Airbus said.

The setback appears to be among the largest Airbus recalls in its 55-year history and comes weeks after the A320 overtook the Boeing 737 as the most-delivered model.At the time Airbus issued its bulletin to the plane’s more than 350 operators, about 3,000 A320-family jets were in the air.The recall came over the Thanksgiving holiday in the US, but Delta said it expected the issue to affect fewer than 50 of its A321neo aircraft.United said six planes in its fleet were affected and it expected minor disruptions to a few flights.Hawaiian Airlines said it was unaffected.

The world’s largest A320 operator, American Airlines, said 209 of its 480 A320 aircraft would need the fix,It said it mostly expected these to be completed by Saturday, with about two hours required for each plane,In Australia, Jetstar cancelled 90 flights, with 34 of 85 of the company’s A320/1 aircraft identified as having the problem, leaving thousands of Australians stranded at airports around the country,Affected customers documented long queues at airports on social media,ANA Holdings, Japan’s biggest airline, said it had cancelled 65 flights on Saturday after the recall forced it to ground some aircraft.

The carrier, along with affiliates such as Peach Aviation, is the biggest operator in Japan of single-aisle Airbus aircraft, including the A320.All Nippon Airways, which operates more than 30 planes, cancelled 65 domestic flights for Saturday.Additional cancellations on Sunday were possible, it said.Other airlines said they would take planes briefly out of service to do the repairs, including Germany’s Lufthansa, India’s IndiGo and UK-based easyJet.Kuwait’s Jazeera Airways and Air Arabia also said their planes were affected.

The Colombian flag carrier Avianca said the recall affected more than 70% of its fleet, prompting it to close ticket sales for travel dates until 8 December and warn of “significant disruptions over the next 10 days”.The Directorate General of Civil Aviation in India has told airlines not to fly A320s until modifications are carried out under the EASA directive.Air India said some of its flights might be delayed or rescheduled.The Guardian understands that only three of BA’s short-haul aircraft are affected and it does not expect any operational impact while they are undergoing the software updates.EasyJet had said it was expecting some disruption on Friday evening but later confirmed it was planning to operate as normal on Saturday because it had already completed the software update on many required aircraft.

A spokesperson for Gatwick airport said a small number of its airlines were affected, while Heathrow said it was not affected as of late Friday night.Airbus said in a statement on Friday that a recent incident involving an A320-family aircraft had revealed that intense solar radiation may corrupt data critical to the functioning of flight controls.Industry sources said the incident that triggered the unexpected repair action involved a JetBlue flight from Cancún, Mexico, to Newark, New Jersey, on 30 October, in which several passengers were hurt after a sudden drop in altitude.JetBlue had no immediate comment.At least 15 JetBlue passengers were injured and taken to the hospital after the October incident, and the plane was diverted to Tampa, Florida.

The bulletin seen by Reuters traced the problem to a flight system called the elevator and aileron computer (ELAC), which sends commands from the pilot’s side-stick to elevators at the rear.These in turn control the aircraft’s pitch or nose angle.The manufacturer, France’s Thales, said in response to a Reuters query that the computer complies with Airbus specifications and the functionality in question is supported by software that is not under Thales’s responsibility.The recall comes a time of intense demands on airline repair shops, already plagued by shortages of maintenance capacity and the grounding of hundreds of Airbus jets as a result of long waiting times for separate engine repairs or inspections.The UK’s transport secretary, Heidi Alexander, said: “The good news is it seems the impact on UK airlines seems limited, with a smaller number of aircraft requiring more complex software and hardware changes.

”There are about 11,300 A320-family aircraft in operation worldwide, including 6,440 of the core A320 model, which first flew in 1987.With Reuters and Associated Press
trendingSee all
A picture

Is gen Z’s love of fried chicken pushing Britain to ‘peak pizza’?

Competition intensifies as former chief of Domino’s says days of ‘massive growth’ are overPizza has become ubiquitous on British dinner plates, with chains such as Pizza Express, Franco Manca, Domino’s and Goodfella’s dominating the market – but is its popularity starting to cool?Domino’s Pizza Group announced this week that its chief executive of two years had stepped down with immediate effect, less than two weeks after he appeared to suggest the UK may be approaching “peak pizza”.Andrew Rennie – who worked for Domino’s for more than two decades and in the top job for just two – told the Financial Times this month there was not “massive growth” left in the UK’s pizza market.Given the fast-growing demand for fried chicken, he said it was “pretty obvious” the group should broaden its menu.Rennie’s calculations are borne out by the shrinking presence of pizza restaurants on UK high streets after a period of rapid expansion more than a decade ago.The number of chain pizza restaurants has fallen from 5,000 in 2015 to 3,750 today, according to the restaurant analysts CGA, with companies such as Pizza Express, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns closing outlets in recent years

A picture

Net migration is plummeting. Why can’t Labour say so? | Heather Stewart

Keir Starmer’s response to the 69% fall in net migration revealed in official figures last week was to remark: “That’s a step in the right direction.”Describing a reduction of more than two-thirds of any indicator in a single year as a “step” would be a creative use of statistics, putting it kindly.But on this most polarising of topics, and for the prime minister, whose job it is to shape public opinion, not cower before it (to “teach”, as the longtime political commentator Steve Richards calls it), it was inexcusable.Starmer’s insouciance about the collapse in numbers – from 649,000 last year to 204,000 in the year to June – was just the latest example of how damagingly detached from reality political debate about migration has become.Since Brexit, net migration has been on a rollercoaster ride more dramatic than anything at Alton Towers – a record rise followed in short order by a record decline

A picture

How big tech is creating its own friendly media bubble to ‘win the narrative battle online’

At a time when distrust of big tech is high, Silicon Valley is embracing an alternative ecosystem where every CEO is a starA montage of Palantir’s CEO, Alex Karp, and waving US flags set to a remix of AC/DC’s Thunderstruck blasts out as the intro for the tech billionaire’s interview with Sourcery, a YouTube show presented by the digital finance platform Brex. Over the course of a friendly walk through the company offices, Karp fields no questions about Palantir’s controversial ties to ICE but instead extolls the company’s virtues, brandishes a sword and discusses how he exhumed the remains of his childhood dog Rosita to rebury them near his current home.“That’s really sweet,” host Molly O’Shea tells Karp.If you are looking to hear from some of tech’s most powerful people, you will increasingly find them on a constellation of shows and podcasts like Sourcery that provide a safe space for an industry that is wary, if not openly hostile, towards critical media outlets. Some of the new media outlets are created by the companies themselves

A picture

More than 1,000 Amazon workers warn rapid AI rollout threatens jobs and climate

More than 1,000 Amazon employees have signed an open letter expressing “serious concerns” about AI development, saying that the company’s “all-costs justified, warp speed” approach to the powerful technology will cause damage to “democracy, to our jobs, and to the earth.”The letter, published on Wednesday, was signed by the Amazon workers anonymously, and comes a month after Amazon announced mass layoff plans as it increases adoption of AI in its operations.Among the signatories are staffers in a range of positions, including engineers, product managers and warehouse associates.Reflecting broader AI concerns across the industry, the letter was also supported by more than 2,400 workers from companies including Meta, Google, Apple and Microsoft.The letter contains a range of demands for Amazon, concerning its impact on the workplace and the environment

A picture

Head ready to open again in second Ashes Test and says flexible batters will be key

Having swashbuckled Australia to victory after vaulting to the top of the order in the first Ashes Test, Travis Head arrived in Brisbane on Sunday to begin his preparations for the second, saying that the future of the format lies in the hands of batters who can flex into a variety of positions. Head described pliable positions as “where the game’s going to”, proposing that Australia could already “use these players in a range of different ways to win games of cricket”.Last month Pat Cummins, Australia’s injured captain, described the concept of batting orders as “pretty overrated”, insisting quality players “can bat wherever” – an opinion Head echoed.“I think you could use this order and these players in a range of different ways to win games of cricket,” he said. “We’ve seen it in red-ball, and particularly pink-ball, as well as non-traditional stuff, with double nightwatchmen, and how you use orders and how you use players in certain situations

A picture

Eli Katoa hopeful of NRL return as he pays tribute to partner and Storm after brain surgery

Eli Katoa remains hopeful of a return to the NRL, saying his recovery from brain surgery is “going well” as he paid tribute to his partner and fans for supporting him.Katoa was ruled out of the 2026 NRL season after undergoing emergency surgery in New Zealand to treat a brain bleed that he suffered while playing for Tonga in the Pacific Championships in early November.The Melbourne Storm second-rower’s career was thrown into doubt after he suffered three head knocks in 90 minutes and required oxygen on the sidelines.Katoa spent more than two weeks in hospital before consulting with specialists in Melbourne, who advised that he not play next season.The 25-year-old is continuing his rehabilitation and recovery under the watch of the Storm medical staff, and said he hoped to play again